Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 6.13 to 7.8.1 broke AD Authentication

phoenyx762 October 23, 2020

Before the upgrade my certs were in the proper keystore. After upgrade AD is busted and I am unable to add certs to cacerts which will allow TLS based connectivity to AD from within confluence. 

The existing documentation for setting up AD authentication is not working with this version of Confluence.

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2020

Hello @phoenyx762!

As I understand, your active directory authentication is not working as intended. Since we do not have much insight on what is happening.

With this in mind, I would like to ask you a few questions. Here we go:

1. Are you still facing this behavior?
  2. Is there any warning on screen when you try to authenticate?
  3. Are there errors shown on your Confluence Log file? (You can find the log file under the Confluence home folder.)
  4. Are you still running your previous Confluence version?
  5. Is this your production instance?

Here is some documentation for reference:

Let us hear from you!

phoenyx762 November 2, 2020

Thanks Diego... Answers in line below:

• Are you still facing this behavior?
    • Yes
  • Is there any warning on screen when you try to authenticate?
    • Was unable to authenticate. Checked the "User Directories" area and confluence was unable to poll AD. This appeared to be certificate related.
  • Are there errors shown on your Confluence Log file? (You can find the log file under the Confluence home folder.)
    • Connection test failed. Response from the server:(server name omitted):636; nested exception is javax.naming.CommunicationException: (server name omitted):636 [Root exception is javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unexpected error: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty]
  • Are you still running your previous Confluence version?
    • No, This was an in place upgrade
  • Is this your production instance?
    • Test/Lab/Home

This appears to be an issue with Confluence accepting the AD Server Certificate. I has this issue before with an upgrade and used "SSLPlugin 1.0.0" to re-import the certificate unfortunately this does not work any longer with version 7 and the standard way using "keytool -import -alias (server name omitted) -keystore /opt/atlassian/confluence/jre/lib/security/cacerts -trustcacerts -file server.crt" does nothing to correct this to allow Confluence to connect to the AD server via 636.

phoenyx762 November 6, 2020

SSO for Atlassian Data Center update 4.1.1 corrected the issue. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events