Upgrade from 3.2.1_01 (clustered) to 3.5.16 is failing due to SQLException

We are currently preparing our production upgrade from Confluence 3.2.1 to 4.3 (via 3.5.16) in our system integration stage. During the migration process we also want to change from the clustered to an unclustered version.

Our first migration step from 3.2.1 to 3.5.16 is failing due to an

contextInitialized 1 errors were encountered during upgrade:

2012-11-12 15:20:07,964 ERROR main atlassian.confluence.upgrade.UpgradeLauncherServletContextListener contextInitialized 1: StatementCallback; uncategorized SQL state 72000 ; error code 1440 ; ORA-01440: column to be modified must be empty to decrease precision or scale

; nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01440: column to be modified must be empty to decrease precision or scale

I found one work around here (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Confluence+Upgrade+Fails+due+to+ORA-01440) which is not applicabel for us, as we have about 50 GB data in the database (13000 users). Is there any other way to get the data migrated?

3 answers

0 votes

Hi Uwe,

I'm not a DBA for Oracle side, but this issue seems to be only correctable by using the workaround number 2 from that Knowledge base article since you come from the version 3.2.

The only problem is the big size of the DB, which will require some space from your server. Of course there could be another possibility to correct this, but then a DBA from Oracle would be more suited to answer this, so I'll leave this question open.

Regards,

Rodrigo

You could try this.

You may have the same issue I had. Bad data in your tables.

Here is one link that helped.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/60408/confluence-upgrade-3-2-1_01-to-3-5-problem-with-database?sort=votes

and this one.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Upgrade+or+XML+Backup+Fails+Due+to+Constraint+Violation

For the page above. I didn't use

delete from content_label where contentid = XXXX;

I needed to run

delete from BODYCONTENT where CONTENTID = <id>

and

delete from CONTENT where PREVVER not in (select CONTENTID from CONTENT);

Thanks,

0 votes

Hi Uwe, were you able to upgrade the instance? If so, it would be great if you can share with us the results.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,049 views 16 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you