Upgrade failed to version 6.6.2

Dries Dewulf January 24, 2018

We got the following error after the upgrade: 

Upgrade failed. Please consult the system logs for details. You will need to fix these problems, restore your database and confluence home directory to the pre upgrade state. Then retry the upgrade. Upgrade error message: Upgrade task com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.upgradetask.ReindexAllBlogsUpgradeTask@3f9afb90 failed during the UPGRADE phase due to: Failed to add entry to queue

2 answers

0 votes
Dries Dewulf January 29, 2018

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I wrote an email but I got now a mail back explaining that my mail didn't passed your mail system. So that's why I'm entering the information online. 

Confluence Version: 5.10.1
Build Number: 6441

Where can I find the database version?

I lost the system logs due the fact that I needed to restore the Confluence Home directory and installation, so the users could work further.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2018

Dries,

You'll want to ask your server administrator what database version you have installed. They should have this information.

The reason your email in reply to this thread didn't work is because it is a noreply email and the community is fully online.

In order to respond to a thread make sure to type into the 'reply' box directly below the response, and not the part below "Suggest an Answer".

We will need the logs in order to know what the problem is. My suggestion is to attempt to restart Confluence again and perform the upgrade, and then you can tail the logs on the instance and see what errors occur.

Once we have the error messages we'll be able to see why your upgrade is failing.

Regards,

Shannon

Dries Dewulf January 29, 2018

Database version is SQL Server 2012. I thought you meant the database version of the Confuence database. 

Ok, I'll try to upgrade Confluence again and send you then the logs.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2018

Thank you for the information. There's no separate Confluence internal database so this is indeed what I was looking for!

As soon as you have any details of the error logs when upgrading do let me know and we can proceed in troubleshooting your issue.

Regards,

Shannon

Dries Dewulf February 11, 2018

Hello Shannon,

Sorry for the late response but I needed to find a time slot where I could bring down Confluence.

You can find the errors below: 

Caused by: org.springframework.dao.DataAccessResourceFailureException: Failed to read id for journal 'main_index': For input string: " "; nested exception is java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: " "
at com.atlassian.confluence.impl.journal.FilesystemJournalStateStore.getMostRecentId(FilesystemJournalStateStore.java:47)
at com.atlassian.confluence.impl.journal.CachingJournalStateStore.lambda$getMostRecentId$0(CachingJournalStateStore.java:27)
at com.atlassian.vcache.internal.core.metrics.TimedSupplier.get(TimedSupplier.java:32)
at com.atlassian.vcache.internal.legacy.LegacyJvmCache.lambda$get$4(LegacyJvmCache.java:52)
at java.util.Optional.orElseGet(Optional.java:267)
at com.atlassian.vcache.internal.legacy.LegacyJvmCache.get(LegacyJvmCache.java:50)
at com.atlassian.vcache.internal.core.metrics.TimedLocalCacheOperations.get(TimedLocalCacheOperations.java:64)
at com.atlassian.confluence.impl.journal.CachingJournalStateStore.getMostRecentId(CachingJournalStateStore.java:27)
at com.atlassian.confluence.impl.journal.DefaultJournalManager.enqueue(DefaultJournalManager.java:46)
at com.atlassian.confluence.impl.journal.DefaultJournalService.enqueue(DefaultJournalService.java:32)

Caused by: com.atlassian.confluence.api.service.exceptions.ServiceException: Failed to add entry to queue
at com.atlassian.confluence.impl.journal.DefaultJournalService.enqueue(DefaultJournalService.java:34)
at com.atlassian.confluence.search.queue.AbstractJournalIndexTaskQueue.lambda$enqueue$0(AbstractJournalIndexTaskQueue.java:89)
at java.util.Optional.ifPresent(Optional.java:159)
at com.atlassian.confluence.search.queue.AbstractJournalIndexTaskQueue.enqueue(AbstractJournalIndexTaskQueue.java:88)
at com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.upgradetask.ReindexAllBlogsUpgradeTask.doUpgrade(ReindexAllBlogsUpgradeTask.java:27)
at com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.AbstractUpgradeManager$UpgradeStep$4.execute(AbstractUpgradeManager.java:654)
at com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.AbstractUpgradeManager.executeUpgradeTask(AbstractUpgradeManager.java:250)
at com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.AbstractUpgradeManager.executeUpgradeStep(AbstractUpgradeManager.java:230)
... 14 more

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to create a tracker when osgi is not running
at com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.container.felix.FelixOsgiContainerManager.getServiceTracker(FelixOsgiContainerManager.java:490)
at com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.container.felix.FelixOsgiContainerManager.getServiceTracker(FelixOsgiContainerManager.java:482)
at com.atlassian.confluence.osgi.OsgiServiceRegistryImpl$1.create(OsgiServiceRegistryImpl.java:46)
at com.atlassian.confluence.osgi.OsgiServiceRegistryImpl$1.create(OsgiServiceRegistryImpl.java:43)
at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$Sync.run(LazyReference.java:321)
at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:143)
... 27 more

Dries Dewulf February 12, 2018

Hello Shannon,

After the upgrade, I restored the backup but I'm not able to start Confluence again. 

I restored the 2 backup files from Confluence and the database.

This is the error that I get: 

java.lang.NullPointerException
 com.atlassian.confluence.setup.webwork.ConfluenceWebWorkConfiguration.getImpl(ConfluenceWebWorkConfiguration.java:68)
 com.opensymphony.webwork.config.DelegatingConfiguration.getImpl(DelegatingConfiguration.java:81)
 com.atlassian.confluence.setup.webwork.ConfluenceWebWorkConfigLoader.lambda$new$0(ConfluenceWebWorkConfigLoader.java:24)
 com.atlassian.confluence.setup.webwork.ConfluenceWebWorkConfigLoader.getImpl(ConfluenceWebWorkConfigLoader.java:41)
 com.opensymphony.webwork.config.Configuration.get(Configuration.java:139)
 com.opensymphony.webwork.config.Configuration.getString(Configuration.java:125)
 com.opensymphony.webwork.dispatcher.ServletDispatcher.init(ServletDispatcher.java:166)
 org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:502)
 org.apache.catalina.valves.StuckThreadDetectionValve.invoke(StuckThreadDetectionValve.java:208)
 org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:79)
 org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:522)
 org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1095)
 org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:672)
 org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1502)
 org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(NioEndpoint.java:1458)
 java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
 java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
 org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
 java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Dries Dewulf February 12, 2018

Hello Shannon,

I restored the full VM, just to be able to work again with Confluence. So we are able to work again with the previous version.

But the original problem still occurs. We can't upgrade to the newest version. See errors mentioned in my previous post

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 12, 2018

Hi Dries,

The errors appear to be database related, could verify with the database server administrator that the SQL Database was created according to this set of instructions:

Specifically checking the portion regarding the creation of the database user, as it tends to be overlooked.

Can you let me know which Confluence upgrade method you are performing?

You can try setting up a test environment and tail the Atlassian Confluence log while you are performing the upgrade. This will help avoid unexpected downtime in production.

Follow this article for information on how to do that:

We always will recommend you test the upgrade first on a test instance rather than upgrading the production instance to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 24, 2018

Hi Dries,

I've looked into the "the UPGRADE phase due to: Failed to add entry to queue" error, and it seems a lot of things could cause it, for example, database issues, out of memory, etc.

We'll need to see more information from your instance to know what is causing it.

1. Confirm your database version.
  2. Let us know what version you came from.
  3. Have a look at the system logs for more details on what causes the error. Can you provide us the lines of error messages that occur during this time and look for any "caused by" lines as well.

Thank you!

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events