Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade failed from 3.5.3 to 5.0.3

Michael Green July 3, 2015

I am trying to migrate Space data from a 3.5.3 Confluence to 5.7.5. To do this I have built a clean Confluence 3.5.3 server and restored space backup. Per upgrade instructions it recommends to upgrade first to 5.0.3 before upgrading to 5.7.5. When I attempt to upgrade it fails with the below error. This is in a VM so I can roll-back and easily retry. Also I am using MS SQL Server 2008R2. Please let me know if further info needed, thank you.

Exception:

com.install4j.api.beans.UndefinedVariableException: installer:installationID
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerVariables$InstallerReplacementCallback.handleError(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerVariables$InstallerReplacementCallback.getReplacement(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.util.StringUtil.replaceVariable(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerVariables.replaceVariables(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerVariables.replaceVariables(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.api.beans.AbstractBean.replaceVariables(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.registry.SetRegistryValueAction.getKeyName(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.registry.SetRegistryValueAction$PerformedAction.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.registry.SetRegistryValueAction.execute(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.SystemInstallOrUninstallAction.install(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerContextImpl.performActionInt(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.ContextImpl.performAction(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.executeActions(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.handleCommand(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.start(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer.main(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

System properties:

java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
exe4j.moduleName=C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\atlassian-confluence-5.0.3-x64.exe
exe4j.semaphoreName=c:_users_administrator_downloads_atlassian-confluence-5.0.3-x64.exe
sun.boot.library.path=c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\2\e4j18b7.tmp_dir\jre\bin
java.vm.version=23.7-b01
java.vm.vendor=Oracle Corporation
java.vendor.url=http://java.oracle.com/
exe4j.consoleCodepage=cp0
path.separator=;
java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
user.country=US
user.script=
sun.os.patch.level=
install4j.exeDir=C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\
java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
user.dir=C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\e4j18B7.tmp_dir
java.runtime.version=1.7.0_15-b03
java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
java.endorsed.dirs=c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\2\e4j18b7.tmp_dir\jre\lib\endorsed
os.arch=amd64
java.io.tmpdir=C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\
line.separator=

java.vm.specification.vendor=Oracle Corporation
user.variant=
exe4j.tempDir=C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\e4j18B7.tmp_dir
os.name=Windows Server 2008 R2
sun.java2d.noddraw=true
sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
java.library.path=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\2\e4j18b7.tmp_dir\jre\bin
sun.awt.enableExtraMouseButtons=true
java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
java.class.version=51.0
sun.management.compiler=HotSpot 64-Bit Tiered Compilers
exe4j.isInstall4j=true
os.version=6.1
user.home=C:\Users\Administrator
user.timezone=Australia/Sydney
java.awt.printerjob=sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob
file.encoding=Cp1252
java.specification.version=1.7
java.class.path=C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\e4j18B7.tmp_dir\i4jruntime.jar;C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\e4j18B7.tmp_dir\user.jar;C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\e4j18B7.tmp_dir\platform.zip;C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\e4j18B7.tmp_dir\user\commons-codec.jar;C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\e4j18B7.tmp_dir\user\commons-httpclient.jar;C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\e4j18B7.tmp_dir\user\commons-io.jar;C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\e4j18B7.tmp_dir\user\commons-logging.jar;C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\e4j18B7.tmp_dir\user\dom4j.jar;C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\e4j18B7.tmp_dir\user\inception.jar;C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\e4j18B7.tmp_dir\user\modzdetector.jar;C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\e4j18B7.tmp_dir\user\slf4j-api.jar;C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\e4j18B7.tmp_dir\user\slf4j-jdk14.jar;;c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\2\e4j18b7.tmp_dir\jre\lib\deploy.jar;c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\2\e4j18b7.tmp_dir\jre\lib\plugin.jar
user.name=Administrator
install4j.executionMode=gui
java.vm.specification.version=1.7
sun.java.command=C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\atlassian-confluence-5.0.3-x64.exe
java.home=c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\2\e4j18b7.tmp_dir\jre
sun.arch.data.model=64
exe4j.launchName=C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\atlassian-confluence-5.0.3-x64.exe
user.language=en
java.specification.vendor=Oracle Corporation
awt.toolkit=sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
java.vm.info=mixed mode
exe4j.unextractedPosition=45328497
java.version=1.7.0_15
java.ext.dirs=c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\2\e4j18b7.tmp_dir\jre\lib\ext;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\lib\ext
sun.boot.class.path=c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\2\e4j18b7.tmp_dir\jre\lib\resources.jar;c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\2\e4j18b7.tmp_dir\jre\lib\rt.jar;c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\2\e4j18b7.tmp_dir\jre\lib\sunrsasign.jar;c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\2\e4j18b7.tmp_dir\jre\lib\jsse.jar;c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\2\e4j18b7.tmp_dir\jre\lib\jce.jar;c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\2\e4j18b7.tmp_dir\jre\lib\charsets.jar;c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\2\e4j18b7.tmp_dir\jre\lib\jfr.jar;c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\2\e4j18b7.tmp_dir\jre\classes
install4j.appDir=C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\2\
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
file.separator=\
java.vendor.url.bug=http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/
sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
sun.cpu.endian=little
sun.desktop=windows
sun.cpu.isalist=amd64

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Mallmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2015

Hello Michael,

Would you mind to share how you're performing the upgrade? Are you using an installer or is it with the .zip standalone method?

In case you're trying with the installer, would you mind to try with the .zip one? See this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Upgrading+Confluence+Manually

Let me know how it goes.

Eduardo

3 votes
lavitz slambert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2015

Additionally to what Eduardo asked can you check the <Confluence HOME>\logs\atlassian-confluence.log file?

Search for "Starting Confluence 5.0.3" and send to us the first errors you get from those logs as the errors from the UI usually are misleading ones smile.

Thanks and Regards,
Lavitz - the guy that uses Confluence on Windows as a Hobby!
0 votes
Michael Green July 12, 2015

After reverting the snapshot and doing the manual upgrade to 5.0.3 it seems to have completed successfully. It took ages to start but I guess it was migrating data. I'm in the process of upgrading to 5.7.5 (the end goal here) now. Thank you for the assistance!

lavitz slambert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2015

Glad to hear that buddy, let us know if something goes wrong ;).

lavitz slambert
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2015

Hey Michael, in case the upgrade worked, mind marking one of the answers in this post so we can close this topic :).

Michael Green July 30, 2015

Sure, I have done that. Thank you to those who made suggestions on this forum I greatly appreciate the assistance!

0 votes
Michael Green July 12, 2015

Thank you both for the response here, sorry for the delay I got caught up on other projects but hope to focus on this to get it sorted within next couple of days.

I couldn't find the string you mentioned but posted the entire file on dropbox in case you want to take a look:

atlassian-confluence.log

I originally installed the 3.5.3 with manual installation (I don't believe there was an installer for that version), but I attempted the upgrade with the installer. I'm going to revert the snapshot now and try with the manual installation process as suggested above. I'll update back here with results shortly.

Thanks again for the suggestions here, appreciated.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events