Upgrade Confluence from 5.9.7 to 6.8.0

jafamo April 4, 2018

Hello, I want to upgrade my Confluence version 5.9.7 to 6.8.0 and I want to know if I can do it without upgrade with interval versions.

Any one know if I can upgrade directly to this version?

When i am trying to update, I don't have any error in my console, but when i am running confluence I have this error:

This installation of Confluence has failed one or more bootstrap configuration checks. Please check the logs for details.
2018-04-04 13:47:18fatalMyISAM is configured as the default storage engine in your database, which may result in data integrity issues. Please see http://confluence.atlassian.com/x/voTcDQ for more information.

I followed the link : http://confluence.atlassian.com/x/voTcDQ but that not resolved it my issue.

Thank you.

2 answers

0 votes
Diego A. Botero G. August 2, 2018

Hi,

What was the main motivation to upgrade from 5.9.7 to 6.x?

We are using 5.9.7, and I was wondering if there are any MAJOR ISSUE I should worry about if we don't upgrade?

Thanks

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2018

Hi Javier,

Per our doc, Upgrading Confluence, if you are running 5.0 or above you may upgrade directly to the latest version of Confluence 6.

I understand you followed the guide: Convert from MySQL MyISAM to InnoDB Storage Engine but the upgrade still failed. Does the error message still indicate that the default storage engine is still MyISAM after running through the steps to convert to InnoDB?  Or is there a different error now?

Thanks,

Ann

jafamo April 4, 2018

Hi Ann,
I updated the confluence with .bin installer when the Storage Engine was MyISAM and I tried to convert tables to InnoDB, It's not working . I recover a snapshot and I will  try again a new installation
I cannot change ENGINE to InnoDB because I have more applications running in this server.

What do you recommend  to do in a  a new installation?

Do you know if I need to change Engine of my db confluence first ?

Many thanks ,

Javier.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2018

For a new installation we have a setup doc:

2. Configure MySQL Server

It includes the InnoDB requirement:

• Choose Transactional Database Only to ensure that your MySQL database will use InnoDB as its default storage engine.You must use the InnoDB storage engine with Confluence. Using the MyISAM storage engine can lead to data corruption in Confluence.
  • Set the InnoDB Tablespace settings to your requirements. (The default settings are acceptable.)

Would it be feasible to spin up a local version of MySQL or a new MySQL server with InnoDB storage engine? That way the other applications would not be impacted.

Best wishes,

Ann

jafamo April 5, 2018

I installed confluence again I had the same error.
I checked the tables in my database and the output it is that

SELECT TABLE_NAME, ENGINE FROM information_schema.TABLES WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA = 'confluence';
+--------------------------------+--------+
| TABLE_NAME                     | ENGINE |
+--------------------------------+--------+
| AO_187CCC_SIDEBAR_LINK         | InnoDB |
| AO_21D670_WHITELIST_RULES      | InnoDB |
| AO_26DB7F_ENTITIES_TO_ROOMS    | InnoDB |
| AO_26DB7F_ENTITIES_TO_ROOM_CFG | InnoDB |

(All of them are InnoDB)

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
April 5, 2018

Hi Javier,

MySQL holds each table in a different file, so if a new table is created it'll default to the default (MyISAM ) engine format. But if you convert a table to InnoDB it'll stay as InnoDB. So when the Confluence setup runs and creates the tables it creates them according to the default storage engine, and any upgrades in the future that include creating new tables will create them with the default storage engine.

I don't like to bring awkward news, but as long as the default storage engine is MyISAM the error will continue to appear.

Thanks,

Ann

jafamo April 6, 2018

Hi Ann,

You're right, I changed my default ENGINE  to InnoDB and now it's working.
Thank you for your help, I really appreciate that.

Regards.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events