Upgrade 3.4.2 to 5.X

Eli Lindner June 20, 2013

Hi,

I currently have an confluence 3.4.2 installation that I'd like to upgrade to the latest 5.X version. It is currently setup using an MySQL database.

Could I please get a top down overview of the steps I'll need to take to upgrade? Should I upgrade 3->4->5 etc.

My home directory is not terribly big, 200Mb mostly attachments.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
fsim
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2013

Hey Eli,

The recommended upgrade path for you would be: 3.4.2 > 3.5.13 > 4.3.7 >5.1.3

3.5.13 first because there is a critical upgrade task in 3.5.x to upgrade your user management framework, which is known to fail quite often, especially if you have external usermanagement such as JIRA, Crowd or LDAP.

4.3.7 because of the change in content storage format (wiki markup to xhtml), which will trigger the wikiToXhtml migration task and change your storage format to xhtml. This is known to break pages with certain third party plugins that are no longer compatible with 4.x and above.

Before the upgrade, make sure to take backups of your Confluence Home Directory, and Confluence Database, and always test the upgrade in a test environment.

All the best!

Foogie

Eli Lindner June 26, 2013

Thanks I think that is the way to go as you suggest. Still having an issue upgrading to 3.5.13 getting this at the output:

26/06/2013 2:12:17 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesJdbc
SEVERE: The web application [] registered the JDBC driver [org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCDriver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
26/06/2013 2:12:17 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesJdbc
SEVERE: The web application [] registered the JDBC driver [org.postgresql.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
SEVERE: The web application [] registered the JDBC driver [com.mysql.jdbc.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.

Working through it slowly. Thanks for the advice.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2013

You should go from 3.x to 4.x and from 4.x to 5.x. I would suggest the latest stable release of 4.x and 5.x as the versions to use.

Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 20, 2013

Reading the top notes from Upgrading Confluence would help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events