Unreadable caracters after latest yum update

Deleted user October 12, 2017

Hi;

Last week we run a yum update on our web and database server. And now when we change a existing article/page, it shows unreadable caracters in the head of the paragraph. I can not believe we are the only ones with this problem. Does anyone have a solution? :)

thanks

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2017

Hi Karel,

I understand your team ran package updates on your Linux servers and since then when you edit Confluence pages the headings are garbled.

• What distribution of Linux are you using? (Knowing this will help me research more accurately.)

Unreadable characters are often caused by encoding issues or missing fonts. It is hard for me to believe a yum update would remove any fonts, however.

To gather further information, please run the encoding test in this guide: Troubleshooting Character Encodings

I look forward to hearing what Linux you are using, and anything you find via the troubleshooting guide.

Thanks,

Ann

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2017

My colleague pointed out that contrary to my expectation, yum updates can remove or rename fonts. Please see: 

Problem with fonts after clean installation of Confluence server

Deleted user October 13, 2017

Hi Ann;

Thanks for the reply! I ran the encoding test and the result was okay. I connected support and they gave me this article:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/confluence-ui-shows-garbled-or-corrupt-text-on-captcha-macros-and-or-diagrams-due-to-missing-fonts-938027858.html

I'll try this next Monday on our test environment. Vingers crossed :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events