Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unformatted raw wiki-markup editing

Joel Lathrop November 7, 2011

I would like to create and edit wiki pages solely use the raw wiki markup. While I noticed that the rich-text editor has an AutoFormat feature that turns wiki markup into formatted text as you type, and there is a raw wiki feature for inserting new text, neither of these is a complete raw wiki markup editing solution like I'm looking for.

I would like to create and edit pages without seeing formatted text but instead seeing the text within its wiki markup syntax and being able to do raw text editing on it; in other words, I would like to do ordinary pure-text-based wiki editing like one could with other major wikis like MediaWiki.

Is there some way this can be done in the most recent on-demand version of Confluence?

Thank you for your time and any help you may be able to provide. :-)

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2011
2 votes
raouldN June 9, 2016

The WYSIWYG editor is cool and mostly works! Unfortunately it empirically seems to be like an N-P complete problem to get an editor that never does anything wrong (cf. editors by Microsoft, Google, et. al. hardly being perfect either :-). For example in the Confluence (1000.122.1) editor things tend to go wrong around any textboxes like "{code}" or "{noformat}" once they are rendered and I try to come back and edit the text around them. It would be very nice to flip to "raw" markup editing mode to not have to fight with the editor in just those cases.

0 votes
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2011

Hi Joel,

There's been a lot of discussion about wiki markup since Atlassian released Confluence 4.x with the new editor and switched to rich text editing only and I very much doubt that Atlassian are going to re-instate the old wiki markup editor. The new editor is very good once you get used to it and Atlassian did spend a lot of time testing it internally and didn't release it until they'd converted their most hardcore wiki markup fans to the new editor.

Give the new editor a try for a while and see if it grows on you, but if you absolutely want/need wiki markup then I don't think there's going to be an option for this any time soon.

Andrew.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events