Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Unable to edit or publish changes on large page with many attachments

I am attempting to edit a memory-intensive Confluence page containing a product's help documents. The page contains many animated gifs and very large images.

It is almost impossible to edit the page. Typical wait times for operations like simply inserting the cursor can take 10 minutes, and can fail repeatedly before finally succeeding—for a moment.

Once I'm finally able to start editing, it is common that the Publish and other buttons become unresponsive. Checking under the hood, I find repeated page script errors. There are all sorts of connection errors, uncaught promises, etc.

I have lost entire days' worth of work multiple times because of these problems, and am finding the page is literally uneditable at this point. I am a habitual saver, but even when I'm hitting save literally after every edit, it often turns out that nothing was saved to the unpublished version. And quite often, the Publish button becomes unresponsive, leaving me with no way to save the changes. This means I am losing tons of work.

I have tried all sorts of strategies, like editing in a local editor and pasting the edits in to the document. The problem is that often just making one simple edit and publishing it is not possible, since the page seems to have disconnected and page scripts become unresponsive.

I typically work in Firefox, but I get the same problem in Safari and Chrome. Currently using Firefox 100.

I tried multiple Firefox add-ons that purport to block images from downloading, hoping that this would reduce memory usage while I worked. This did not affect Confluence pages, though it did work as described on other websites. On Confluence, all images still loaded.

The connection I'm using is not particularly slow, and works fine for all other purposes, even for large file uploads and so on.

I am not having any other sort of memory issues or failures in my working environment.

Advice to simply make smaller documents with smaller attachments will not help here. This is an existing document that needs updating—and it's almost impossible to even make edits, let alone to save them.

I can only describe myself as appalled by how poorly the editor is performing here. I've never seen anything like this in a browser editor. And somehow or other, I need to be able to complete the updating of this text, so any help here would be appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey Community Leader Apr 12, 2022

Hi Jesse, I feel your sense your frustration here and understand. I don't have this issue but I don't have any pages like you propose here. I assume that others experience the exact same sluggish behavior? Assuming so, I think the best course of action would reach out to Atlassian support and have them login and inspect the situation and offer options. I wish I could be more help here it simply does seem that the page has gotten too large and memory intensive.

Thanks. I was not able to find Atlassian support contact info, initially. Found it now.

Like Jack Brickey likes this

A little annoying that only the site admin can request support. I would rather be able to solve this myself. 😤

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Confluence: Where work and wellness meet

Feeling overwhelmed by the demands of work and life? With a 25% increase in the prevalence of anxiety and depression worldwide during the pandemic, for most of us, it’s a resounding yes . 🙋‍♀️ ...

757 views 5 21
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you