• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Unable to create an own page with own variables

Hi!

Seems I am missing a detail or two regarding the instructions in the "Create your own template" section "Variables". 

My objective is to create a "New Variable" in my template called "tablename", this way when my mate introduces a value in such field, the "tablename" is shown automatically in all the places of the Page where is needed (a dozen of them). 

However, and following the instructions, I am unable to do so. And there are behaviors expected, according to the docs, which are not happening to me.

First: I create a New Template 

Then, in the Template I choose Template > New Variable from the editor toolbar. This opens a dialog which by default shows "variable_name". I decided to rename it to "table_name" I press Enter (by default this creates a single-line text input field).

All correct until this point. 

Captura de pantalla 2020-01-30 a las 12.17.01.png

Now the misleading part from the documentation:

"Type $ and the variable name, then press Enter to add a new variable or to select an existing variable from a list of suggestions. The suggestions dialog shows variables already defined in this template."

Wait, I have already added a New Variable. Why should I need to write $table_name to add (?) a new variable?

On the other hand, and if I understand this instruction correctly if I type "$" in any place of the document, the Template will show me a list of suggestions, right? Well. Such list of suggestions is not being shown to me at all.

Sin título.png

Now I feel I am starting to get lost...however let's continue:

So basically in the template in the paragraph where I want the "tablename" to appear I understand I should write something like "The name of the table is $table_name" and that would magically be transformed to "The name of the table is product_details" as soon as my mate fills the "tablename" field with "product_details", no? Well at least I understand such, so I did so.

Finally I go to my Confluence Space and I add a Page based in this Template, however as soon as I click in the template the Page to edit is not opened and no warning is risen. Just the dialog of availables Templates is there staring me, and no matter how many times I click in the "My Template" nothing happens.

So?What am I missing?

1 answer

tl;dr I don't think you're misunderstanding/doing anything wrong. I think something with template variables is broken in Confluence right now. You may just have a case of bad timing.

Several people on my team have been using templates with variables to create pages over the past year. Starting yesterday, attempts to create pages from templates that use variables have begun to fail in exactly the same way you describe in your last paragraph. Once the template-selection modal goes away, nothing happens.

I'll open a ticket with Confluence support right now. You might too.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence Cloud

Please tell us how you use Confluence space settings

👋 Hi there, a few of us at Atlassian would love to learn about how you use "space settings" functionality in Confluence. A facelift to the space settings is long overdue and we want to start with im...

317 views 11 8
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you