'Unable to create an ActiveX object to open the document. This is most likely because of the security settings for your browser.'

Jered Biard November 12, 2013

We are using Confluence version 5.3 and have enabled the Office Connector. We have many users who are having no trouble at all using the Edit Document link to edit an embedded Excel spreadsheet. However, we have a few users who receive the above error every time they try. We have been through all of the security settings in both IE8 and IE9 to no avail, even on the same machine. We are using Office 2010. I have verified the Sharepoint entries are set to Run from My Computer, though none of them seem to be the same as the related articles Google turns up for this. Please help!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2013

Hi Jered,

Do those affected users experience the same behavior when trying to access from another machine? Wondering if there's any relation to confluence and the user or if it is strictly due to browser.

Is this happening with users from a certain geographic location? Office? Remote access? etc?

Just in case you didn't see the suggestions here:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/94138/unable-to-create-an-activex-object-to-open-the-document

I would do some additional troubleshooting use HAR exports to see if you can examine the network traffic of the affected users.

Jered Biard November 29, 2013

Thanks. I had seen that, but it took another pair of eyes to make me look closer. The problem was to do with 64 vs 32 bit browser versions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events