Un-authenticate a users Jira access in Confluence

Adam Dullage August 27, 2019

I have a problem which is easier to explain if I run through the steps to replicate. It's worth noting that all of our team have Confluence user accounts but only some have Jira user accounts. It's also worth noting that we don't share user accounts between Confluence and Jira, they are separate.

User A has a Confluence user account but no account for Jira. They are able to view a Jira macro in Confluence listing a number of Jira issues as the project the issues are in grants "Anyone" the permission to "Browse Projects".

At the bottom of this macro, underneath the list of issues there is a message offering to authenticate the user with Jira. All of this is expected and ok for what I need (although it would be nice to dismiss the authenticate option).

If I give User A a Jira account they can use the authenticate option on the Jira macro in Confluence. Once authenticated the list of issues is still the same but the authenticate message is gone. This is also expected.

If I now disable User A's Jira account, the Jira macro in Confluence does not list any issues and instead says something along the lines of they are not authorised to view these issues. This is not expected, I would expect the behaviour to go back to when they didn't have a Jira account at all.

If I fully delete User A's Jira account the Jira macro still doesn't list any issues and the message changes to "Jira server returned an error".

Presumably this is due to an authentication link existing for a disabled/deleted account. Is there any way I can delete this link for this user?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2019

Hello Adam,

Thank you for contacting us about this. I see that you reached out to the support team as well, and I see that my colleague was able to replicate the issue locally.

As mentioned in their response:

There are two option to revoke the OAuth access tokens:

1. Recreate the Application Links between Confluence and Jira.
  2. Get the user to revoke the OAuth Access Token from Jira Profile > Tools > View OAuth Access Tokens before disabling the user in Jira.

You may refer to the documentation below for more details in regards to the OAuth Access Token in Jira:

Go ahead and give that a try, and continue working with my colleague on this issue. Once resolved, please return here and let us know how you were able to solve the issue. It will help other users with the same issue in the future.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Shannon

Adam Dullage September 6, 2019

I opted for the 2nd option and it worked a treat. Thanks for the help.

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 9, 2019

Adam,

Thank you for letting me know that it worked for you! Hopefully, this can be useful to other users in the future.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events