Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too much user counted

Dominic Feig April 10, 2014

Hello there,

We are currently evaluating Confluence und we are quiet happy with it. Now we are considering to buy a license for it. But now we are a way too confused about the amount of licensed user. In the system information Confluence shows us 115 users und I can find all of them while searching for users (*). The price different between the 100 and 500 user license is not very small so I want to get sure.

I often read about licensed users are only those who have global permission "can use" (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions). In our case we have 84 users in confluence-users (with some deactived user as well) and 2 in confluence-administrator. This two groups are the only one with "can use" permission. In consideration of the confluence page above this means we have <= 86 users who need a license?

Final question now: Do we need a 100 license or a 500 user license?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, Dominic

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2014

Hi,

Depending of your setup probably deactivated users are counted towards license, please try to remove them from confluence-users group.

Also ensure that just those 2 groups have "can use" permission. Probably somebody added one or few more groups.

BR,

Andris.

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2014

You can also try to create new group (for example "confuence license users"), move your users there and allow "can use" permission ONLY to that group, then you can live with 100 users license. :)

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2014

One more thing - system information shows all the users in directory - not only those which counts towards license. So you can go ahead with 100 user license. Number of users which counts towards license is visible under License Details menu, but only after you will have any non Unlimited license.

1 vote
Sven [Dione Technology]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2014

Hi Dominic,

Yes indeed for the global permission stuff.

Are you using different directory ?

Just for a testing, could you please disable one user to see if it take in account ?

Regards,

Sven.

0 votes
Dominic Feig April 10, 2014

Thank you two for your fast answer.

We are only using the remote JIRA directory. The JIRA directory is synced with our AD (unfortunately without good filter settings). All of our jira-users are now confluence-users.

Only confluence-users/-administrators have the global "can use" permission. No one changed it since I looked for it last time :-)

Regarding the deactived users: If I search for users I found 115 and also the system information displays 115 users. Regardless if they're disabled or not.

Currently I'm quiet happy about your answers because you stated that I can choose the 100 user license.

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2014

If you don't have more than 100 users (including admins, auditors etc...) then 100 user licnese will be ok. You will be able to sort it out if anything...

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2014

You should probably want to mark this question as answered.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events