I am setting up a department Confluence environement. I am in terested in a space for the department as a whole and then individual spaces for each team. What are the pros and cons of using spaces for both of these as opposed to a Department Space and a page for each Team? thanks.
Having one space for the whole department, with page families for teams:
1) Fewer spaces – only one place to go for this department.
2) Easier to search just one space for this set of information.
3) If there are special restrictions or styles that apply to the whole department, it is easier to implement them in one space than in multiple spaces.
1) Every page in a space must have a unique name, so each team can't, for example, have its own page called "Who's Who".
2) If there end up being a lot of pages, the space can get confusing.
3) Much easier to restrict access or editing if you need to have different restrictions for different teams.
Just to add to Jon's answer:
A new space if:
A page tree if:
I just found out that you cannot easily manage Team Spaces (add/delete team members). Adding team members has be done completely manually. (Add a column, add the picture, add a mail to link, change permissions manually, and so on.)
That really stinks and I wish I would have never gone the team space route.
This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.Read more
Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs