Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Team Calendars and permissions to Jira Service Desk Issues (Change Requests)

Chris Chambers October 23, 2017

This is related to Jira SD incident #SDS-28088.  Support suggested I open an issue with the Confluence Support Team.

We're running Confluence and Jira Service Desk - both are hosted locally, and not cloud implementations.

I'm trying to use Team Calendars with Confluence to display all Change Requests currently in Jira SD.  The only way I've managed to get it to work is to grant the Anyone group within Jira SD the Browse Projects permission, but this results in a recurring permissions error message in Jira SD.  Any other permission fails and nothing is displayed in the Team Calendar.  Per Jira Support, the Anyone group shouldn't be used within Jira SD

Also, the only way I've managed to get the permissioned Jira SD Change Requests to appear in the calendar is by adding an event, and choosing only the Single Date - Issue Due Date.  Any other date selected, including ranges, returns nothing.  Preferably I'd use the Change Start Date but it doesn't work.  Setting the range of Change Start Date and Change Completion Date returns nothing, as well.  Setting a range of Change Start Date and Issue Created Date does return data, but the calendar entries span the days between when the issue was entered and when its start date is set - it also duplicates those entries on the Team Calendar.

How can I permission the Issues and/or Team Calendar to allow anyone to view our Change Control calendar; anonymously, preferably, or even via their Jira SD Customer Account (sync'd to LDAP/AD), but not as an agent within Jira SD?  And how can the calendar's entries be set up to show an entry spanning the Change Start Date(Time incl.) and Change Completed Date(Time incl.)?  The goal is to allow our users (Jira SD Customer accounts as well as actual Agent accounts) to see what Change Requests are already scheduled to avoid over-lap/conflicts.

If Team Calendars isn't the correct solution, what other Calendar solutions have others used with success?  I've tried a few other calendar add-ons, but Team Calendars is the only one, thus far, I've had any success with.

Thank you

2 answers

2 votes
Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2017

We have the same issue.

Confluence support says that the customer needs a full jira license in order to be able to filter jira issues and show them on a confluence space or team calendar...

This makes absolutly no sence since they are licensed users under the servicedesk license model, they are able to view their request in the customer portal...

They just need to adjust their jira macro so it is usable for jira service desk and not only for jira software...

JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2019

bloody hell.... you cant show calendars with events to customers? even if they have view rights on the issues from an organization? that really sucks. i cant describe how much that sucks... what the hell is the point of a customer facing confluence linked calendar then? you have to be an agent to view calendar events? GROAN

i am displaying a custom date field but it still does not work.

0 votes
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2017

There's some documentation on fixing jira service desk permissions errors here.

Once you fix that you're on the right track.  I'd likely not give anonymous access to anything these days if it can be avoided.

For the team calendar.  I did a quick test run, with the following settings:

Event type:  Jira Issue Dates

Display: Project  (and select your Change Control Project)

Tick Date Range:  Select the custom fields for your Start Change and End Change date.  Those fields should be configured as date pick fields.  

Chris Chambers October 24, 2017

Thanks.  I've used the settings you recommend, but nothing is returned.  Both Change Start Date and Change Completion Date are date-pick fields.  Nothing but using Issue Due Date will return any of the changes, though.  The only range that "works" is Issue Create Date and Change Start Date, but that's the one that results in duplicate calendar entries with some spanning days if the Issue Due Date isn't the same as the Issue Created Date.

There are no permissions errors displayed in Jira SD unless I grant the Anyone group the Browse Projects permission (which is currently not set).

IT Support March 7, 2018

Did any one find a solution to this. I run into the same issue. Setting Date Range to Change start and completion date doesn't show anything until I also check something like issue created date in the single date column and then I get duplicates. 

Gary Blower _Clearvision_ July 26, 2018

It's a known error. Needs some upvotes: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-55258

Gary Blower _Clearvision_ July 26, 2018

Workaround

1. Go to Settings > Issues > Custom fields
  2. Find Change date
  3. Select Edit
  4. Change the Search Template to be Date Picker
  5. Repeat for Change completion date
  6. Reindex
  7. The Calendar will now work with the JSD custom fields
Like Matt likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS