Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table of Contents does not appear on published page

Devin Vail August 7, 2020

Hi

Working on a basic page. When I add the ToC it finds the headings as expected. But when I publish the page the ToC blinks rapidly and disappears. Screenshots below. Am I missing a step? Im on Chrome on a mac, if that matters.

thanks

Devin

ToC on page in Edit mode

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.00.43 PM.png

Toc finds headings

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.00.29 PM.png

ToC disappears when page is published

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.00.52 PM.png

16 answers

5 votes
James Pryor January 6, 2021

Hey hey - I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. 

I've tried copying the content to a new page (I'm having the same issue on 2 new pages anyway), and I've also tried in Chrome and Safari - but still no luck.

Any other tips? I sure would appreciate it!

James

4 votes
Janet Dixon May 2, 2022

For anyone on Confluence Cloud.....  I just received the following response from Atlassian Support related to this issue.

We've received a few tickets from other users, reporting the exact same behavior. Upon further investigating this, we identified the root cause to be related to a bug that recently emerged on Confluence. This bug is already being investigated by our developers and being tracked internally with high priority. All updates on its resolution will be provided through the public bug report below:

I added an internal comment linking this ticket to the bug report.
 At the moment, we can't set an ETA for the fix to be released, since it will depend on the team's backlog and the bug's complexity. Since all further information will be given through the bug report, we suggest you to add yourself as a watcher on the report to receive an e-mail notification when this issue gets fixed by our dev team. Also, feel free to comment, and do not forget to vote for this issue by clicking on This affects my team.

Tina Perry May 18, 2022

Thank you for this.
Do you know if its still an issue as mine doesnt show either

2 votes
Carlos Silva January 14, 2021

I'm having exactly the same issue as reported before. I'm also using a Mac+Chrome configuration. Please Atlassian Support, prioritise and check this issue. 

2 votes
Victor Mutai January 12, 2021

I am also experiencing the same issue.

2 votes
Jay Miles January 8, 2021

I'm experiencing the same issue.

Two different pages, tested in both Chrome and Safari on Mac - no luck.

Jay

1 vote
Pedro Murgel February 5, 2021

Using windows / chrome and same happened. It is  a shame that is impossible to do such a simple thing on confluence.

1 vote
XG Support 44 January 13, 2021

Same here.
In Confluence page looks good, but published page - is empty.
No errors appear in any step.

XG Support 44 January 13, 2021

By the way, I use Mozilla and Windows.

1 vote
Manisha Kharga _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2020

Hi @Devin Vail 

It sounds like there's something specific on that page which is causing an issue. If the page isn't too big, then I'd suggest manually copying (i.e. Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C) all the content to a new page and saving it and see if you are seeing the issue in other Confluence page or space.

Are there any headings on the current Confluence page where the macro was added?

Does this happen when you use a different browser?

Thanks,
Manisha

Devin Vail August 10, 2020

Good call Manisha! Tried in Safari and it works perfectly - so its not the page or macro that are the problem.

The new issue is that it doesn't work in Chrome in a mac? Its my browser of choice, which Im sure is the case for many others. How could this be addressed in your opinion? Some kind of support ticket with Atlasssian?

thanks!

Devin

Manisha Kharga _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2020

Hi @Devin Vail 

Glad to know that it works for you in safari. But we are not seeing any issue with the Chrome browser on Mac as well. Can you please try it in other Confluence space in the Chrome browser and verify it.

Thanks,
Manisha

Alon Lubin November 12, 2020

Hi @Manisha Kharga _Appfire_ 

I have the exact same issue, same configuration, mac + chrome, does not show the TOC when I preview

Ian Browne May 4, 2022

Same issue here, but it does not work in Safari either for me.

0 votes
ecemozturk February 27, 2023

Is there any solution?

0 votes
Janet Dixon May 4, 2022

@Devin VailIt's a bug.  Atlassian is aware of the issue.  CONFCLOUD-73922: Table of Contents macro disappears upon refreshing the page  Go to the ticket, watch it, and click the link that it affects your team.  We need to ALL show our support, watch, comment, etc., to get development to focus on our issues.

0 votes
Roman S May 2, 2022

I have been seeing this issue across various pages on my company confluence instance as well. I removed any local site data associated with Atlassian to make sure it wasn't a local issue. 

I would prefer not to have to re-create pages since I've been seeing it happen in different places, so an Atlassian-side fix is preferable.

There's various warning and errors in my chrome javascript console, maybe one of them will point to the cause:

https://gist.github.com/rsheyd/8761c4530a8739e2a18c8c8ed73a5f74

Janet Dixon May 2, 2022

I discovered this is happening on ALL pages in my site that are using the ToC macro.  I even created a new page with ONLY 3 lines formatted as headers with a ToC macro.  Same behavior in every browser!  The Table of Contents appears when the page is first loaded, but if you refresh the page, the ToC disappears.  I can actually see it appear and then vanish when the page reloads.  I opened a ticket to Atlassian Support on this.  If you're using Cloud, I'll post here what happens.

0 votes
Janet Dixon May 2, 2022

I just experienced this same thing in Confluence Cloud and trying to find a solution.  Very odd.  Table of Contents appears when the page first loads, and then disappears.  Very frustrating.

0 votes
Gitesh kumar Jha August 28, 2021

I removed a hpyer link at the top and it worked.

0 votes
D.G. May 12, 2021

I found the same issue, but I made toc following support instruction. But when I publish the page, toc appears. 
so in edit and preview you may not see table of contents

Megan Farrokhi June 9, 2021

I am using  macOS Big Sur and Chrome and facing same issue with TOC not showing up after publishing the page. I saw someone suggested removing links, but this page does not work without links on this page. 

Would you be able to share the instruction by any chance? 

0 votes
Deleted user March 16, 2021

I'm also experiencing the same issue.  I'm using Chrome Version 89.0.4389.72 (Official Build) beta (x86_64) on macOS Big Sur 11.2.3.

0 votes
XG Support 44 February 7, 2021

In my case somehow it happened because of link.
Just ordinary link to other page was inserted on same page.

After removing link, content is displayed.
Can not imagine how it can be related, but it worked.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events