Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony service reports error

DVTS September 25, 2019

Hi, after setting up an on premise confluence server, new articles can't be createt. I checked the status of collaborative editing, the status of synchrony service is "error".

I already followed the steps in https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf615/troubleshooting-collaborative-editing-967338688.html, i disabled HTTP>HTTPS redirection temporary, the result is the same.

We don't use any load balancers or reverse proxy.
Confluence runs on a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter.
There is no Windows service called *synchrony*.
On port 8091 is no process listening on the confluence server.
Under c:\Program Files\Atlassian\Confluence\logs\ are no synchrony log files.
Currently, there is no antivirus installed on the confluence server.

Felix

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2019

Hello Felix,

Thank you for contacting us about this. Happy to help. I just have a few questions for you before we can begin.

1. You say you are on a Windows Datacenter, are you using the Data Center version of Confluence, or is this a single node running by itself?
  2. What version of Confluence are you using?
  3. What error message do you see when you attempt to create a new page in Confluence?
  4. Can you check your Confluence server logs in your home directory when you trigger the error and share with us the full stack trace you receive? We'll need to see that before we are able to proceed.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Shannon

DVTS September 26, 2019

Hi Shannon,

thank you for the answer.
1. It's a single node running by itself
2. 6.15.6
3. Can't reproduce it anymore since collaborative editing won't turn on
4. Yesterday i disabled collaborative editing somehow (there happened an error while turning off, telling me that it couldn't be turned off)
,now it can't be enabled anymore. The circle is turning around, and after a few minutes the admin-passwort-promt appears.
Is there a way to send you/attach the log files (few thousand lines).

Regards, Felix

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2019

Hello Felix,

Apologies for the delay.

To confirm, are you using a Confluence Server license on your Windows Datacenter, or are you using the Confluence Datacenter license? According to the information I have on file, you're running on Confluence Server, but I wanted to be sure.

I'll definitely want to take a look at the stacktrace in your Confluence server log, so you can paste the relevant bit in reply here, or you can use something like Pastebin or Dropbox to send it on over. It might also help if you try to restart Confluence and have a look at the logs when the service tries to start.

Thank you!

Regards,

Shannon

DVTS October 7, 2019

Hi Shannon,

yes, we use a confluence server license on a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter edition.

I stopped the confluence service, deleted all logs, started the confluence service and tried to enable colaborative editing (aprox. at 12:20:20).
After the login page appeared again i stopped the confluence service.

Here the logs:

https://pastebin.com/VteKZNwv - Log gc-2019-10-07_12-14-05.log.0.current
https://pastebin.com/NkqngY7j - confluence-stderr.2019-10-07.log
https://pastebin.com/vbNAVf6U - catalina.2019-10-07.log

Regards Felix

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 9, 2019

Hello Felix,

So sorry for the delay, I was teaming up with the local Confluence server team here on your case.

So, the Collaborative Editing (Synchrony) service should appear as a separate JAVA process in the task manager. This runs in parallel to Confluence; the two processes are linked to each other.

If the Synchrony process fails to start for any reason, there are a few things you can try.

1. Verify that both Synchrony Interop Bootstrap plugin and the Collaborative Editor plugin are enabled. If they are enabled, try to disable them, and then re-enable them.
  2. Clear the plugins cache to make sure that the above plugins are working as expected.
  3. Set synchrony.proxy.enabled system flag to false, in order to disable the built-in Synchrony proxy in case it causes problems. See Possible Confluence and Synchrony Configurations for more information.)
  4. One tip: when restarting Confluence, make sure that you follow the correct procedure depending on if it has been installed as a service or standalone. See Stop and Start Confluence for more information.)

If you run through all steps and you still are not able to enable Collaborative Editing, then I will need to see your Confluence Server Logs. (See Working with Confluence Logs for information on where to find that.) The log will be called atlassian-confluence.log. This is different from the logs you sent me earlier. 

If you have any trouble, let me know, and I can help you to raise a support ticket.

Regards,

Shannon

DVTS October 10, 2019

Hi Shannon,

I disabled and re-enabled the two plugins, cleared the plugin cache, and added the Java Option "-Dsynchrony.proxy.enabled=false".
I use the Windows Service Manger to stop/start Confluence.

Collaborative editing still can't be turned on, there is no java process running in the confluence server.

Here is the atlassian-confluence.log from today

https://pastebin.com/WPHcfU09

Redards, Felix

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 11, 2019

Thank you, Felix,

It seems that it's having trouble connecting via your wiki URL, and you're getting many PKIX path building failed errors.

We want to make sure that you can first connect manually to your URL. You'll want to go onto the Confluence server and ensure that you can connect directly to dvts-wiki:443.

If that works, then we need to check your SSL. You want to be sure that you installed the certificate into the proper truststore. It might be that you have several versions of JAVA running, and you want to be sure that the certificate was installed into the same one as Confluence is using. 

The article below will help walk you through the solution for this:

Let us know if you have any trouble running through the steps in that article.

Regards,

Shannon

DVTS October 14, 2019

Hi Shannon,

i logged into the confluence server via remote desktop, and then logged into confluence via https://dvts-wiki successfully.
"java SSLPoke dvts-wiki 443" returned an error, i imported the CA public cert into the java keystore and restartet the confluence service.
"java SSLPoke dvts-wiki 443" not returns "Successfully connected". Collaborative Editing still can't be turned on.

Here is the atlassian-confluence.log from today.
https://pastebin.com/dB3VXsLy

Regards
Felix

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 14, 2019

Felix,

Thank you for providing the logs again. It still seems that there is an issue connecting to your server, and it's timing out.

I'm sending all of your logs over to a support ticket now so we can look further. Please check your email for a link to that ticket.

Thank you so much for your patience. Once the issue is resolved, please feel free to come back here and let us know the solution, so it can help other users in the future.

Regards,

Shannon

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 15, 2019

Thank you for sharing, Felix! Happy to hear you were able to get it resolved.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events