Stopping anonymous spam comments

We suddenly get roughly 50 spam comments per day on our Confluence documentation site where we allow anonymous comments. The comments consist of keywords (e.g. "coach purse store ...") plus a list of URLs. We have captcha enabled but it doesn't help. It also seems like the spam comes from multiple IP addresses so blocking on IP does not seem to be a solution.

Is there a plugin that can analyze comment text before it is saved and filter out spam? I've looked but cannot find anything.

If not, what is the URL for posting a comment? I've analyzed the access log but cannot figure out which URL corresponds to "save comment"? I would expect it to be a POST request, but nothing seems to match. If I knew the pattern for a "save comment" request I may be able to develop my own ServletFilter and handle this.

I would appreciate any hints because it's getting really time consuming to clean upp this mess every day.

Best Regards,
Hans

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Hans,

Could this help you out? : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Configuring+Captcha+for+Spam+Prevention

Best regards,

Peter

Jeff Thomas Atlassian Team Jan 20, 2014

Hi Hans,

Do you have Captcha turned on for your Confluence instance?

Thanks for the pointer Florin. I have added my comment to the thread where Atlassian says they will not consider doing naything about this to show that there are others interested in this. I hope others do the same.

Peter, we have captcha enabled but it doesn't help. Please see the link Floring posted.

Thanks,
Hans

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

431 views 4 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you