Stopping anonymous spam comments

Hans Bergsten January 18, 2014

We suddenly get roughly 50 spam comments per day on our Confluence documentation site where we allow anonymous comments. The comments consist of keywords (e.g. "coach purse store ...") plus a list of URLs. We have captcha enabled but it doesn't help. It also seems like the spam comes from multiple IP addresses so blocking on IP does not seem to be a solution.

Is there a plugin that can analyze comment text before it is saved and filter out spam? I've looked but cannot find anything.

If not, what is the URL for posting a comment? I've analyzed the access log but cannot figure out which URL corresponds to "save comment"? I would expect it to be a POST request, but nothing seems to match. If I knew the pattern for a "save comment" request I may be able to develop my own ServletFilter and handle this.

I would appreciate any hints because it's getting really time consuming to clean upp this mess every day.

Best Regards,
Hans

4 answers

1 vote
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2014

Hi Hans,

Could this help you out? : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Configuring+Captcha+for+Spam+Prevention

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
Hans Bergsten January 20, 2014

Thanks for the pointer Florin. I have added my comment to the thread where Atlassian says they will not consider doing naything about this to show that there are others interested in this. I hope others do the same.

Peter, we have captcha enabled but it doesn't help. Please see the link Floring posted.

Thanks,
Hans

0 votes
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2014
0 votes
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2014

Hi Hans,

Do you have Captcha turned on for your Confluence instance?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events