Steps for Safe Migration of Jira and Confluence to other servers

testdockerhub March 21, 2019

hello Community,

i will start  aMigration of Confluence and Jira Software from an Old production server to a newest instances ,the BD is on MSSQL ,i made a backup of the DB and start a new DB from the restored DB. 

i saw that i should modify dbconfig.xml to point to the new DB on Jira and the confluence.cfg.xml for confluence .

i copied the HOME_DIR for both applications to the new instances , but im worried about my links inside Jira and confluence when i will start my new instances, is there any thing that i should modify or run to update those links and ensure that they will work as they was on the old servers !!! if so please can you provide me witht the Best Practises .

Thanks .

2 answers

0 votes
brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2019

Hi @testdockerhub , for the links, you have to assess if you are using a reverse proxy e.g Apache / Nginx / IIS.

On the cutover period make sure the domain is pointed to the new IP of the new server.

If you will be changing the base url of the instance, there are  strategies to change them before you migrate the data to the new instance.

Please check this article and see if it applies to you.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-do-i-replace-all-hard-links-to-my-old-base-url-284366235.html

thanks Bryan Bojorque that was close to what im searching for, but i saw here that they explain how we make a SED on the XML of our backup, but for me i will not  backup in this way, i will make a ful backup of my MSSQL and then connect it to my new instance,so im not sure where exactly i can make the modifications !!! ( yup there is Nginx reverse proxy in front of the 2 applications ).

so any suggestion about this case !

brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2019

Hi @testdockerhub , In order to execute the sed function you must export the database first and perform sed operation and reimport it again.

Btw before you do this, just assess first how many hard links in the system. If fewer than 100 then it is not worth doing this.

Normally Jira will just change the links when the baseurl is changed in the General Configurations and then it will apply to issues overall.

Take note of Hard-links and Soft-links.

Good luck with the migration please take a backup.

umm i see that you discussed about 3 important points here :

1- executing the SED , im not sure on what exactly i should run the SED !

2-if Jira will change all those links by changing the baseurl.,why that cause problem of lot of peaple!.

3-Hard and Soft links,about what exactly !

hope that i can find answers on that, and thanks a lot for your support Bryan Bojorque

Thanks

brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2019

Hi @testdockerhub ,

Please do a quick JQL search in your environment.

text ~ "https://youroldurl.com"

If you see any results, it would mean that these are the issues that have hard links to the description or summary.

Soft links are the URL to the issues when you click to open it.

testdockerhub March 23, 2019

thanks Bryan Bojorque i will try that

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2019

Thanks Alexey, i already checked the documentation ,but i did not saw any points about how links will work !!! i may need some advises from some one who made this Operation and his HandsOn experience on that

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events