Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space template

Fred Riley October 23, 2015

Hi all

This is a relatively abstract query, rather than addressing a specific problem, but it does have real practical applications in the Confluence installations I'm administering.

My basic question is: is there such a thing as a 'space template', and if so how can you create/modify/use it in the Confluence GUI?

In more detail:

Let's say that I've an installation where I want each space I create to contain specific pages. As a silly example, perhaps:

• home
  • FAQ
  • personal interests
    • favourite pets
    • sports
    • soft toys
  • links

Or whatever. I would like to go Spaces >> Create Space, choose a space template, and have a new space created with these specific pages. Can I do this in the Confluence GUI?

I suspect not, going by the answers to the Space Template topic, which asks a similar Q. The answers appear to be:

1. Do it programmatically in code via the CLI and the Space Blueprints API
  2. Use the unsupported copy space add-on

Is this still the case? I'm not a plugin developer so (1) is not an option, and I'm managing a critical live system so an unsupported add-on is out of the question.

I've searched the fine manual for "space template" and got pages such as "_Adding a page template" which seems to describe creating a new page template. I've looked at "Adding a new template" but although that refers to space templates, the instructions (Browse >> Space Admin >> Templates >> New) display a blank page to edit.

4 answers

0 votes
EPS Software Engineering AG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2016

Hi Fred,

Have a look at our Add-on. It does exatly what you are looking for and it is really simple to use. The template is a normal confluence page tree and the end users simple press a button, filling out the form and the space is created.

Try our Live Examples (no registration needed).

Marketplace link: Space Tree Creator

Regards,
Stephan

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2015

I've used the copy space add-on for doing this for a while now and it works great.

0 votes
Fred Riley October 26, 2015

Thanks for the interesting reply. I'll bear your addon in mind for future projects, but I'll not be able to add it to our live system now without a period of testing and evaluation (and committees). In the short term I'm after finding out if space templates actually exist.

0 votes
Gorka Puente _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 23, 2015

Hi @Fred Riley,

Our add-on Yoikee Creator allows you to create space templates (i.e., space blueprints) by means of mind maps. You draw the structure of your space template in a mind map, where the nodes become pages in the space. Thus, the hierarchy of nodes-sub nodes become the structure of pages-sub pages in the space.

So, you create once a mind map, and you can create as many spaces as you need with the same structure of pages (consistent spaces).

Give it a try and send us feedback!

Regards,

Gorka

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events