Degraded performance Customers may experience intermittent errors using Community search. Our platform vendor is investigating.
I am experiencing an issue where individuals or groups added as space admins to specific spaces do not have permissions to edit space permissions. It almost acts as if Confluence wants them to "authenticate" as a user yet they have no option to do that. Am I missing something? I have reviewed the documentation covering permissions and the differences between the various admin users and they should be able to edit space permissions yet are unable to do so. Any insight into a possible cause would be appreciated.
If a user has the tick against their name in the space permissions page for "admin" on the far right, then they should be able to change the permissions for that space - add/remove users and groups, and change those users check marks.
Do they have the "edit" button available when they're on that page?
Ok, if they didn't have the permission, the button shouldn't even appear. Are they logged in with a non-expired session? (Easy to check, just go to another part of Confluence and check the user is shown as logged in at the top right)
Could you have a look at the log file at the point at which one of these users click the edit button?
Ok, we figured out what is going on here. When space admin clicks on "Edit Permissions" they are supposed to get the authentication page prior to them being dropped to the permissions editing page. What is happening is there are two special characters being inserted in the URL string that turns out OpenAM doesn't like. Specifically it is encoding the second set of 3 characters into a special character (a question mark). If we decode the second character and replace the special character with the decoded string, the URL works. OpenAM kicks back the URL because of the second special character.
Now my questions is, does the newest version of Confluence do this? We spoke with OpenAM and they report this is working as intended and only older versions of the web client accept special characters. So why does Confluence encode certain characters strings as special characters and can this be changed?
Below is the URL being generated when a space admin clicks on the "Edit Permissions" button. Notice the second question mark in the URL. That's what OpenAM doesn't like. If we replace the question mark with it's decoded value of %3f it works just fine.
Well, turns out this is a bug with OpenAM. Just got an update from our dev team who had a ticket open with the OpenAm dev team about this and they now confirm this is a bug that will be fixed in a future release. At first they were saying it wasn't a bug until our own devs found something related to this issue in their release notes.
Also I would like to correct my earlier posts and state that we were in fact ENCODING the special character and not decoding it. When it is encoded then OpenAM let's it load. Just as an FYI in case anyone else runs into this issue and needs a workaround.
Thank you for your help.
This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.Read more
Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs