• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Some uses can't see pasted images (.png) files

I have created a page in confluence and as part of the page I pasted some .png images. I can see them fine under my user ID , but many of my other users are getting an 'unknown attachmnent' message and they can't see them.

Been checking permissions but I don't see anything obvious. Any help would be appreciated!

10 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Nope, these we actually images from a Visio Diagram that I simply copied and pasted directly into the document. They don't exist in any other Confluence document.

I actually went in an created another user and confirmed that my new user couldn't see the pasted-in-images. That was true, so then I just used my new user to re-paste the images in the document, and now everyone can see them. They are still in there is .png drawings.

Hallo Jeff

Did you copy and paste the images from another Confluence page? If so, Confluence will reference the images from that page. And if that page is restricted to viewing only by you, other people won't be able to see the images.

The solution is either to remove the restriction on the other page, or to attach the images to the new page and then re-insert them on the page, making sure you reference the attached image.

Cheers, Sarah

I'm going to close. re-pasting them seems to have resolved the issue, but not clear to me the original cause. May have had something to do with a security setting, but I sure couldn't find the obvious one :)

Why doesn't Atlassian just support PNG file types? Is this a bug or it's intentional?

Jeff,

I've had this problem too, though in the past. I've fixed it by resaving the files as jpgs and re-attaching them. Cheers.

yeah, I needed to remove and re-attach. now it's fine... I dunno

For us this isn't a way to go, because our customers has the same problem with more the 100 pages :-( (per page > 5 images).

We found the reason for the issue.
As expected an permission problem.

What happens:

The User imported a Worddocument into his personal page and sorted the content of the imported page into other pages and spaces via copy & paste in the editor.

After that he restricted this space.

The images in the copied page sections referenced to the attachments of the old imported page - which is now restricted -> the most user couldn't see the attachment.

we explained them that his "workflow" wasn't correct.

Hi Oliver

Good point, but what would be the "correct" workflow in this case? Say you have an existing Confluence page and you would like to append it with an existing Word document? There is no "append" option when importing a Word document, you can only replace the existing page or create a new one. In either case, when I manually merge the two pages (copy/paste), the images will refer to the original page, which I obviously do not want to keep. If the word document contains some 100+ pictures, manually re-attaching them to the merged page does not work.

How did you solve this problem?

Dave

I have users (including myself) who paste .png files into confluence pages and they do not appear: only the "Atlassian image" icon appears showing that an image should be there.

When we press the "Undo" button, the image mysteriously appears as it should:  why the unnecessary step of pressing undo?  I have replicated this action with four accounts, so it appears to be an issue with the Ondemand instance.

It only worked for me when I converted the image from png to jpg.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What do you think is the most *delightful* Confluence feature? Comment for a prize!

- Create your own custom emoji 🔥 - "Shake for Feedback" on mobile 📱 - An endless supply of GIFs via GIPHY 🤩 Is there anything quite as nice as a pleasant surprise? Comment below with what...

383 views 23 8
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you