Solution for ignoring restriction inherit in Confluence

Rumceisz July 5, 2012

Hi All,

many of the space admins of our Confluence need page restrictions. The problem is that theywant to restrict chid pages (grand-grandchild): it means that they want to populate the child page for users without seeing the parent page!

Of course this is impossible, so we recommended to move the child page right under the Home. But they refused because they have a rigor page hierarchy.

Is there maybe a macro or plugin with that restriction inherit could be ignored?

Thanks in advance!

Rumi

2 answers

0 votes
Rumceisz July 5, 2012

Hi Andrew,

I agree with you. I also don't recommend such a feature. I try to convince them to move up the page.

Thank you!

Rumi

0 votes
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2012

Hi Rumi,

Not an answer because I'm not aware of anything that would allow you to do this, but a comment that even if there were I would avoid it and strongly suggest that your users take a look at their page hierarchies instead.

The way it works at the moment makes sense - start off open and you can restrict more the further down the page tree you go. If you start circumventing that and have pages more open than the pages above them you're very quickly going to find that it's unmanageable, the permissions will get in a mess, people will see things they're not supposed to and people will be locked out of pages that they should be able to see. Not necessarily because things are not working, but because it will become really difficult to try and figure out for a particular page in the tree what's being inherited, what's being ignored and what users should or shouldn't be able to see it.

Just my 2 cents and I know it's hard to convince people to change they way they structure things, but that's the route I would pursue rather than creating a support nightmare for yourself spending all your time unpicking page permissions.

Andrew.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events