Since upgrading to 4.3, IE no longer shows the "Open" button in the file download dialog box

This is small inconvenience that now requires IE users to download a file to a specified location and then open from the file explorer. In 4.2 and prior the dialog would have the Open button which allowed the user to open the attachment.

I will provide two screenshots which demonstrate the before and after behaviour.

4 answers

0 vote

It has been tested on both IE8 and IE9 and this issue only happens to IE9 wirth Confluence 4.3.2. There is a bug report raised on this

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-26994

Cheers

This does happen on IE8 too, we only have IE8 in our business.

From a support request to atlassian I recieved the following reason:

After some investigation, it seems that the reason why this has happened is that there was a change to our HTTP headers with the 4.3 release, to add "X-Download-Options: noopen", which seems to have been part of a security patch.

MSIE seems to obey these directives more strictly than other browsers, so you are not seeing "Open" anymore. If you want to open an Office file for viewing directly, I recommend clicking the "View" link at the right of the screen, which uses the Confluence Office Connector to open the file in read-only mode.

David Mason Atlassian Team Nov 05, 2012

Just to clarify this, it's actually only obeyed by IE, not by any other browser, as it's an IE specific directive.

0 vote
Peter Koczan Atlassian Team Nov 08, 2012

I've added a new Knowledge base article on how to possibly get around this problem.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=311920262

Please note that you have to implement this solution as your own risk!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Asked May 24, 2018 in Confluence

What are the resources that you use to learn more about Atlassian Products?

I am gathering information about resources available for Atlassian product knowledge transferring for a presentation in our local Atlassian User Group. I want to group them in four categories From ...

604 views 18 16
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you