Since upgrading to 4.3, IE no longer shows the "Open" button in the file download dialog box

Brett Ryan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2012

This is small inconvenience that now requires IE users to download a file to a specified location and then open from the file explorer. In 4.2 and prior the dialog would have the Open button which allowed the user to open the attachment.

I will provide two screenshots which demonstrate the before and after behaviour.

4 answers

0 votes
PeterKoczan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2012

I've added a new Knowledge base article on how to possibly get around this problem.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=311920262

Please note that you have to implement this solution as your own risk!

0 votes
Brett Ryan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2012

From a support request to atlassian I recieved the following reason:

After some investigation, it seems that the reason why this has happened is that there was a change to our HTTP headers with the 4.3 release, to add "X-Download-Options: noopen", which seems to have been part of a security patch.

MSIE seems to obey these directives more strictly than other browsers, so you are not seeing "Open" anymore. If you want to open an Office file for viewing directly, I recommend clicking the "View" link at the right of the screen, which uses the Confluence Office Connector to open the file in read-only mode.

David Mason
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2012

Just to clarify this, it's actually only obeyed by IE, not by any other browser, as it's an IE specific directive.

0 votes
Chung Park Chan
Atlassian Team
November 1, 2012

It has been tested on both IE8 and IE9 and this issue only happens to IE9 wirth Confluence 4.3.2. There is a bug report raised on this

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-26994

Cheers

Brett Ryan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 4, 2012

This does happen on IE8 too, we only have IE8 in our business.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events