Simplified Chinese Resorts to Question Marks

Hi,

Server version of Confluence: 5.5.3 on a Linux CentOS box.

I have a page with Chinese vocabulary, and four colums, the second of which is simplified Chinese.  As my client is a Mac, I can enter the text in Pinyin and get the Chinese character.  I then save the page, and all is well until about ten minutes later, when I view the page, and the Chinese character has reverted to a question mark.

This is double curious because when I first insert the character there, I can view the page on any number of browsers, and the character is Chinese. 

I ran the character encoding text https://my.instance.com/confluence/encodingtest.action and it came back successful. 

Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks.

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hey John,

I believe I know what is going on, if you are using MS SQL Server then try the following:

1. Shutdown Confluence.
  2. On MSSQL Studio go to Tools > Options> Designer > Table and Database Designers > Uncheck the box Prevent saving changes that require table re-creation.
  3. Expand Body Content table.
  4. Expand Columns.
  5. Right click on BODY column.
  6. Modify.
  7. Change the BODY column from text to ntext.
  8. Save.
  9. Start Confluence.
  10. Test the same scenario again.

That behaviour happens on MSSQL when you have a incorrect data type since the jdts driver have problems to handle asiatic characters. 

If you are not using MSSQL then if you have a support license can you raise a support case with us at support.atlassian.com so we can get your supportzip?

Thanks and Regards,
David|Confluence Support Engineer
Wayne Wong Atlassian Team Oct 19, 2014

Hi John, Could you please attach the test result here so that we could verify the test for you? Also, is that possible for you to generate a support zip?The support contains your system environment info, It will help us to identify the issue faster if you could provide us support zip, Thank you. Regards, Wayne Wong

Hi Wayne,

That's not a problem, except that it has my entire configuration in it, and I don't really want that on a google-visible page.  Any way I can send it to you as an e-mail?    As fo the test results, screenshot attached.  Capture d’écran 2014-10-20 à 10.11.00.png

Cheers.  smile

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jul 30, 2018 in Confluence

How Manon Soubies-Camy uses Confluence + Trello to organize webinar notes and her knitting stash

@Manon Soubies-Camy is an engineer who has been an avid Atlassian user since 2014. She helps companies of all sizes transform the way they work with the Atlassian stack, including Jira and Confl...

863 views 8 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you