Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplified Chinese Resorts to Question Marks

David Malka October 19, 2014

Hi,

Server version of Confluence: 5.5.3 on a Linux CentOS box.

I have a page with Chinese vocabulary, and four colums, the second of which is simplified Chinese.  As my client is a Mac, I can enter the text in Pinyin and get the Chinese character.  I then save the page, and all is well until about ten minutes later, when I view the page, and the Chinese character has reverted to a question mark.

This is double curious because when I first insert the character there, I can view the page on any number of browsers, and the character is Chinese. 

I ran the character encoding text https://my.instance.com/confluence/encodingtest.action and it came back successful. 

Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks.

3 answers

1 vote
Deividi Luvison
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2014

Hey John,

I believe I know what is going on, if you are using MS SQL Server then try the following:

1. Shutdown Confluence.
  2. On MSSQL Studio go to Tools > Options> Designer > Table and Database Designers > Uncheck the box Prevent saving changes that require table re-creation.
  3. Expand Body Content table.
  4. Expand Columns.
  5. Right click on BODY column.
  6. Modify.
  7. Change the BODY column from text to ntext.
  8. Save.
  9. Start Confluence.
  10. Test the same scenario again.

That behaviour happens on MSSQL when you have a incorrect data type since the jdts driver have problems to handle asiatic characters. 

If you are not using MSSQL then if you have a support license can you raise a support case with us at support.atlassian.com so we can get your supportzip?

Thanks and Regards,
David|Confluence Support Engineer
0 votes
David Malka October 19, 2014

Hi Wayne,

That's not a problem, except that it has my entire configuration in it, and I don't really want that on a google-visible page.  Any way I can send it to you as an e-mail?    As fo the test results, screenshot attached.  Capture d’écran 2014-10-20 à 10.11.00.png

Cheers.  smile

0 votes
waynewong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2014

Hi John, Could you please attach the test result here so that we could verify the test for you? Also, is that possible for you to generate a support zip?The support contains your system environment info, It will help us to identify the issue faster if you could provide us support zip, Thank you. Regards, Wayne Wong

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events