Show Jira issues in Confluence

Mark Bowden October 29, 2015

We have a server instance of JIRA and one of Confluence. They live on different servers, and they have different sets of users as we don't want the Sales Team directly working within Jira. 

So, what I would like to do is within Confluence, use the JIRA macro to show a list of results from a JIRA filter. However, when I login with an account that that only exists within Confluence I am asked to Authenticate to see my issues. 

This isn't how I want it to work. I would like non-JIRA users to be able to see JIRA issues when logging into Confluence. We have tried every combination of OAuth possible within the Application Links pages and nothing wants to work, Trusted Applications doesn't recognise the logged in user if they don't exist in Jira, and everything else with OAuth demands that I have to Authenticate. I've asked support and they have helpfully pointed me to the instruction. Gee thanks...

So:

1) How do I achieve what I would like to achieve?

2) Has anybody successfully done this? If so, how? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2015
Mark Bowden October 30, 2015

And this worked for you? Without having a matched set of users?

Thanks, this works well. Would have been much quicker for 'support' to have said that in the first place and highlighted the concerns over using it.

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2015

@Mark Bowden, I have raised a Support ticket against Atlassian with exactly your requirement, and they said my JIRA and Confluence version are incompatible so you may want to check that too. This is what I got...

You are running an unsupported version of Confluence 5.1.5, but we will do our best to address the application links problem you are having, but I cannot guarantee we will be able to, and the recommendation is to upgrade your Confluence to a supported version.

Thanks, this is one train of thought we have. That or ditch Confluence as it's not working as the marketing would have you believe. It's been hugely frustrating.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2015

This particular JIRA and Confluence instance that I support right now is very big (enterprise scale being used globally 24/7) that a version upgrade will need 2-3 months to prepare, coordinate and execute so we are kind of stuck right now with the "limited integration" that we have. I wish I can share the premier support ticket with you that we have opened (but it's paid by my client) so I am constraint no to. Right now, we are being asked to remove all application links (from the GUI and the confluence DB directly) and start the linking again from scratch using OAuth. We have not done this yet since we have other things to prioritize for now. @Clarissa Gauterio is assigned to our ticket, maybe she can put more insights :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events