Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shoudld a Notification E-mail be sent to watcher after editing a file in office?

Tim Davis August 25, 2017

We are on version 5.9.12

Our team get's notifications if a comment is posted to a page they are watching, or if the page content changes.  However, if they use the option to "Edit in Office", no notification is sent out after they save and exit the office application.

Is this the expected behavior or should an e-mail go out?  If not, where do I need to point my Confluence Administrator at to enable these notifications?

1 answer

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2017

Email notifications go out when the version of the attachment changes, for example if it is downloaded, edited and then uploaded again with the same file name. Per our doc, Edit Office Files:

The Office Connector allows you to edit attached office files in their native application (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint or OpenOffice) and save the file right back to the Confluence page. No need to download and re-upload the file.

Tim Davis August 29, 2017

Ann, thanks for the reply.  The office connector is allowing users to update xlsx and docx files with no issue.  After they save the file in the application, the verion history is updated and the new changes are posted.  My question is: SHOULD that trigger an e-mail notification event.  My asuption is that it Should.  However, it is NOT happening for our team.  Is there some e-mail scheme setting, or user group permission that has to be enabled to ensure an e-mail goes out when updating a file using this method?

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2017

Hi Tim,

My understanding is that editing a file in Office will not trigger an email notification from Confluence. There is nothing for your administrator to configure to enable that functionality.

To give a little history, a lot of customers have been bothered by too many notifications from Confluence, so we have worked to reduce the number of emails a Confluence instance sends.

Per this suggestion ticket, in Confluence 5.5 and above (including 5.9.x):

we've addressed the issue of notification noise from attachments by no longer sending a notification for a file which is attached in the Editor.

If you are not getting emails when attachments are added or deleted from a page, please make sure the administrator has not disabled the following modules from the Confluence File Notifications plugin: file-content-update-notification & file-content-delete-notification as described in How To Disable Notifications For Attachments Action

Otherwise, you should see email notifications when attachments are added or deleted from a page but not when they are edited in Office.

Another reason you may not see emails on every update is that if "lots of changes are being made at the same time, you'll only receive a single email with all the changes (within a short window, usually 10 minutes)." as it says in Email Notifications

Please let me know any follow up questions.

Thanks,

Ann

Tim Davis August 29, 2017

Ann,

Thanks again for the reply.  This was exctally the information I was looking for.  While I a newer to Confleunce, we have a number of team mebers who are not and were expecting to get notifications.  I now have a soid explanation for them.

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events