Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SharePoint 2010 to Confluence....

jagadesh February 19, 2015

Hi,

I own one SharePoint site with below mentioned features being used in it and want to know if I can migrate from Sharepoint 2010 server to Confluence... 

1) SharePoint Workflows

2) SharePoint Lists and Libraries

3) SharePoint search

4) Content Management with Remote Blob Storage

5) SharePoint User Groups and Permissions

6) Multiple Site Collections

7) Content Versioning

8) Central Administration for managing the SharePoint site

Along with these features, I need to know that if Confluence is capable to handle below tasks..

1) Multiple Active Directory (Domains)Support

2) Migration tools for speeding up the migration activity

3) Easy to use with Dot Net technology stack..

Pls help me out in finding the way to come out from SharePoint.

Thanks

Jagadesh

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2015

There's a bit of a jump when you move from Sharepoint to Confluence.

The reason I say that is that the two systems are really aimed at two different approaches to presenting information to users.  Sharepoint is very much towards doing things as a "Document management system", whereas Confluence is far closer to a "wiki" than anything else.   Sharepoint presents information contained mostly in discrete document objects, whereas Confluence throws up pages directly and expects the users to update them directly.  Some of the concepts simply do not translate between the systems - they're not useful in the context.

So, to answer the questions as best I can

1. SharePoint Workflows
    1. Confluence does not have workflows.  You edit pages. That's it
    2. But there is a rather neat addon that imposes workflows on to pages if you want
  2. SharePoint Lists and Libraries
    1. Not exactly the same functionality, but you can build something a lot like it (and it tends to be more flexible and accessible for the users to build their own)
  3. SharePoint search
    1. Confluence has searching
  4. Content Management with Remote Blob Storage
    1. No.  The point of a wiki is that the page is there, in front of the users at all times.  Confluence is NOT for "content management" whether locally or remote, it serves up the content directly
  5. SharePoint User Groups and Permissions
    1. Confluence does this
  6. Multiple Site Collections
    1. I don't really know what this means.  Confluence does "spaces" though, so you can give teams several (public or private) spaces for gathering their documentation
  7. Content Versioning
    1. Confluence is built on content versioning
  8. Central Administration for managing the SharePoint site
    1. Yes, all in the UI

And...

1. Multiple Active Directory (Domains)Support
    1. Yes it does that
  2. Migration tools for speeding up the migration activity
    1. Not specifically.  It depends on what you mean by migration.  Will you be converting all the stored sharepoint objects into proper sets of pages?
  3. Easy to use with Dot Net technology stack..
    1. Again, that depends on what you're trying to do with it.  
Joshua Jonathan Low June 15, 2015

Hi Nic, I'm facing a similar issue of migrating files & libraries from Sharepoint to Confluence, and it seems that most of the solutions out there are more concerned about moving from Confluence to Sharepoint and not vice-versa. What I'm essentially looking for is a tool to easily convert all the stored Sharepoint files into Confluence via formatted pages, using the Blank page template, into a page tree.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2015

I did a very basic one of these a while ago - a simple script that found every document in a (doesn't)Sharepoint, ran <something> over it to convert it to moderately simple text, and then create it as a page over the SOAP interface. Confluence uses REST now, so nowadays, I'd use that. The <something> was the fiddly part - we had a proper developer put together something that did that (and logged errors or complexities that it could not handle) - my scripts just ran it.

Hilli Balzer - PractiProject January 7, 2016

Hi Nic Can you share your script with us?

jebastin kumar February 8, 2016

Hi Nic,

Could you please share the script and the steps that will be very great help

John January 21, 2017

Hi Nic,

Could you please share the script and the steps which could be a great help.

0 votes
Justin W. Richeson May 11, 2017

Nic, I'd like more info on:

"SharePoint Lists and Libraries

Not exactly the same functionality, but you can build something a lot like it (and it tends to be more flexible and accessible for the users to build their own)"

If you can share more on what you mean and how to achieve this.  We're just getting started with Confluence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events