Several scheduled jobs haven't run in several days...

Snorre Selmer November 12, 2019

So I went to the backups-folder in our Confluence server to trim out old backups, and noticed that the last backup was run on the morning of November 5th. So our Confluence hasn't backed itself up for a week!

I then went into the Admin panel to look at the scheduled jobs, in case someone had disabled the job without telling me about it. And I see this:
image.png

The instance was installed on August 14th (migrated from another host) and backups have run fine so far. I find several of these "Last execution" and "Next execution" dates worrysome. The "Back Up Confluence" task is running because I started it manually to see if I could provoke anything in the logs, but nothing so far.

Confluence Server v6.15.9 running on a CentOS 7 server.

2 answers

0 votes

Just as a quick followup, the backup finished successfully, the file is in the backup-folder. Clicking the History-link shows that the job has run every day, even though there's no file to show for it. 

0 votes
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2019

Hi @Snorre Selmer ,

it is not recommended to perform internal backups like these on a production instance, because these will take a lot of time as you get more content on your Confluence instance.

The best practice is to disable this job, and instead do a backup directly on your database. This is much better in terms of performance, and will be easier too to restore in case of issues.

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

We do that as well, outside of business hours. It's a bit of a belt-and-suspenders thing.

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2019

In this case I would recommend disabling the internal Confluence backup job, as per Atlassian official recommandation on this page : https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/production-backup-strategy-38797389.html

Although Confluence provides a scheduled XML backup, this backup method is only suitable for small sites, test sites, or in addition to database and directory backups.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events