Setting up mail works in Jira, but not in Confluence

Hello,

we have just installed Jira and Confluence. While setting up a secure SMTP server in Jira worked flawlessly, we can't get it to work in Confluence, using the exact same settings.

We definitely need help with that. If there is any info we should provide that could help with solving the problem, please ask for it.

Thanks for your help in advance.

1 answer

1 vote

Hi Arne,

I assume you're using port 465 for your SMTP server since you mentioned it was secure?

What is the exact error message you run into on Confluence when connecting? When you tail your logs, do you have further details there?

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Yes, I am using port 465. This works in Jira, though I specifically had to set the protocol to SECURE_SMTP in the setup dialog. Otherwise I get the same error-message I get now with Confluence, but I can't find a similar option in Confluence's setup dialog.

The error-message comes down to:

com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.MessagingException:
Exception reading response;
nested exception is: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at

I would post the complete log here, but for some reason Confluence doesn't allow me to copy it from the dialog and the output isn't added to the standard log file. Other details also can't be found in the log file.

Thank you for your help!

Hi Arne,

Thank you for that.

1. Are you able to telnet to port 465 on your mail server from the server Confluence is hosted on? Is it hosted on the same server as JIRA?
  2. Where is your email hosted?
  3. Do you have TLS checked in your email settings for Confluence?
  4. Is it possible to test port 587 on your SMTP server rather than 465 or is it not available?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Hello Shannon,

1. Yes, I can telnet port 465 on the mail server from the server Confluence ist hosted on. Jira and Confluence are both running on that server.

2. The email is hosted by a service provider here in Germany.

3. I have tried it both with TLS enabled and disabled.

4. I just tried it, and that works, thank you, we will leave it with these settings.

You were a great help for us, thank you for that!.

Arne,

Thank you for confirming! I'm happy I was able to assist you.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,538 views 25 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you