cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search word order is probably wrong

Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2019

Hi all

I have a question about seraching in confluence with the "AND" operator.

I have a confluence page, which contains these labels "twips" and "608" and some more. See picture below:

labels.png

Now, whern I search with "608 AND twips", I get the page as an result. See picture below:

608_and_twips.png

When I search with "twips and 608", I get no results. See picture below:

twips_and_608.png

What's the problem? Does anyone have any suggestions? 

That has to be a bug... I mean, it cannot be that I must pay attention to the order of the words... 

Thanks for any answer.

Regards, Dominic

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2019

When you put quotes around a search it does an exact phrase search. The "and" is most likely being thrown out of the exact phrase search as it is on the list of common words. Thus the exact phrase search works in the first example because that is the page order and the exact phrase search doesn't work in the second example because it is not in that order.

What you probably mean to do is this ...

608 AND twips

or even better ...

labelText:608 AND labelText:twips 

When you use AND in a search it must be capitalized to be understood as a boolean operator. Otherwise it will be discarded as a common word. The same goes for OR and NOT.

Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2019

Hi @Davin Studer 

Oh okay, I see. I tried it out and it works fine. I was confused, beacause in the help every search statement is in quotes :-) 

Thanks for your replay. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events