Search bar caching behaviour

aviv_cohen February 4, 2020

Hi all,

I'm facing an issue that I don't know how to deal with
My advanced search bar (top right. Not the internal for specific space) is applying a result that I'm not want to be exposed to users at this point

Do the results are the internal caching of the Confluence app? 

I checked the cache management webpage, but I don't know which tab is relevant?
I assume that it's not part of the caching storage of the browser I'm using 

Please advise 

10x in advance 

1 answer

0 votes
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2020

Hi,

just to make sure we're on the same page:

The result of a global search you are executing is displaying a page/blog/file, which is not supposed to be displayed for the user executing the search.

We're using Confluence for several years & I never encountered this behavior.

Are you sure that the logged in used executing the search:

* Does NOT have permission to view the space

* The space is NOT visible to anonymous users

or, if the space is viewable for the user

* The page is restricted, so that the user cannot view the page

* If an attachment is displayed in the search result, the page containing the attachment is restricted

Please check this & give some more information, if the issue still persists.

Best

JP

aviv_cohen February 5, 2020

Hi @JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_

Thank you for your quick response
we are actually looking for a different solution. The spaces that we have are public and available to anonymous users.

We would like to control the search results so that specific spaces will not be displayed, and especially first in the list.

Is there any way to control the search results?

10x

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2020

Ok,

so you want to hide search results from specific spaces that the users are allowed to view. My guess is, that this is not possible using the global search. As long as a user can view the content, it will be searchable & shown in the search results. You also cannot control the order of the search results. As this is a Lucence based search (Apache Lucene Project), which is a sort of fulltext search like google, the results are sorted be occurrence of the search terms, while the page title is weighted more than the page body.

Best regards

JP

aviv_cohen February 5, 2020

Ok,

1. Does cache management(Administration) have anything to do with this?
  2. Any correlation between the way Confluence store/ cache the spaces content & the browser local storage/ cache? 
aviv_cohen February 9, 2020

@JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_ 

Make it more simple - 
How do I disable/ eliminate the advance search bar on the top right ?
I tried this, but it's not effecting 

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2020

Hm,

disabling the global search in Confluence ... I see two ways to get this done:

1. Use some custom global css to hide the searchbox.

2. Use the HideElements marco from https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211757/hideelements-for-confluence?hosting=server&tab=overview

(Free App) This allows for a more fine-grained control, but has to be done on every page.

Best

JP

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events