Scroll PDF Exporter doesn't work with emoji

Marco Serafino August 13, 2020

Hello,

Intro:

I'm using Scroll PDF Exporter (but I tried also with the default one) to export some pages from a space. I used a lot of emoji to help the categorization and have soft look documentation.

Problem:

When I export, all the emoji are represented by their own name (e.g. :minidisk: or :file_folder:)...Does anybody have a clue?

Thank you so much.

Marco

1 answer

0 votes
Jens Rutschmann _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2020

Hi @Marco Serafino

I've seen you commenting on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-64431 concerning this problem as well.

Unfortunately Scroll PDF Exporter suffers from exactly the same bug as the built-in exporter. We don't know of any workaround so far. We considered providing the emojis internally in our exporters as a stopgap until they fix it but they managed to produce HTML output in such a way that we were not able to distinguish individual emojis.

We are in contact with Atlassian about this and they said they will fix it 'later' together with a bunch of other export-related issues but they have not committed to a date for this fix yet.

In the meantime you might want to watch this issue in our issue tracker to get notified in case we can still come up with a workaround: https://k15t.jira.com/browse/EXP-2899

Cheers,
Jens

Marco Serafino August 17, 2020

Thanks for your reply @Jens Rutschmann _K15t_ 

It's very strange to me that Atlassian is still having this kind of bug. Yeah, I had the same issue trying to solve with a custom CSS but without any success. They produce an output that's impossible to interact with.

Possible solution

I found a workaround using the official MacOS emoji, they are displayed correctly, and when exported the output doesn't show them at all, neither their :name: .

cheers,

Marco

Jens Rutschmann _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2020

Hey @Marco Serafino thanks for sharing that!

I tried this with Scroll PDF Exporter and it does export some emojis, but they are different from what you see in the emoji picker. That's because our exporters don't ship the apple color emoji font. Instead the emojis will be loaded from whatever font is configured in the export template, or Google Noto if the font doesn't contain the glyphs for the emojis.

Cheers,
Jens

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events