Scheduled Log Scanner not working

R Donato
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2014

Hello,

Prior to upgrading to 5.5.2 from 4.3.1 to 5.0.3 to 5.5.2, I received scanner logs daily per the schedule I had set. After the upgrade which included lots of dev testing and reading release notes, I have to manually generate the log scan despite the schedule set. Is there any way to fix this?

We're also experiencing long latency issues. During testing pages loaded quickly and easily. Now they are very sluggish. Is there anything I should check to see what could be causing this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

rd

4 answers

0 votes
R Donato
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2014

Hi Paul,

I checked the email error queue. And luckily, there are no errors in it. But I didn't see settings in that section for Authenticated Users.

Did you add a new SMTP or POP mail server to receive the logs? That may be my problem. But I'm not sure which one to use. Also, I came across some instructions on Changing the Destination of the Log Files on https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/sYN1Bg. If this information can solve my problem, I'll have to pass this on to our IT department since it requires stopping Confluence.

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll update this post when I have more information.

Regards,

r

Paul Biagio December 2, 2014

The authenticated users setting was changed on our actual email server and not in Confluence. A very easy way to debug is to schedule the log scan for a specific time and at that point tail the error log and see what happens.

R Donato
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2014

Great suggestion. I'll try that and review the results. Thanks again!

0 votes
Paul Biagio December 1, 2014

Check the email error queue. I had the same issue and then realized that our email server settings were changed to not allow Authenticated Users to send as 'any sender'. Mail comes from noreply@atlassian.com and fails authentication.

0 votes
R Donato
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2014

Hello Guilherme,

Yes, I used the built-in Hercules Atlassian Support Bot. Below is how I scheduled the regular scans:

Under Confluence Admin > Atlassian Support Tools, I selected the Scheduled Log Scan tab.

I entered the following information:

• Enabled to run the report.
  • Start Time: 6:30.
  • Frequency: daily
  • Recipients: my work email.

I saved the changes. This is exactly what I had set up when we were on 4.3.1. During that time, I received daily reports from the log scan.

I'll ask the engineer here to check memory and increase it. When I look at System Information, the Heap Memory is 80% free with Maximum Heap Size at 3640 MB. And the Permanent Generation Memory is 76% free with Total Free Memory at 2913 MB. Are there any other stats I should review to figure out the performance issue?

Thanks for your help! :)

Madhu Vasudevan September 11, 2014

We are also facing the same issue with Hercules log scan Scheduler. Any solution for this issue ?

R Donato
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2014

No resolution for us yet. If I want a log file, I run it manually. What version are you using? We're still on 5.4.2.

Madhu Vasudevan September 21, 2014

Hi, We are using JIRA v6.2.7

0 votes
Guilherme Nedel [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2014

Hello Rd,

Could you describe the method for scheduling and scanning Confluence logs, that used to work with 4.3.1 that is no longer functional? Confluence does have built in tool for scanning logs, was this the case?

Regarding the second point, there is a chance that the application is demanding more resources from the system, em thus having the performance decreased, you may like to check the available memory status, and consider an increase adjustment as per this documentation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events