cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Plugin for Conflunce, Compatability with Confluence 5.2.x

Gavin Fowler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2013

Hi

I'm using the latest stable version of Bob Swift's SQL Plugin (6.0.1) with Confluence version 5.1.4. I'd like to upgrade to Confluence 5.2.3 and although Bob's plugin states it's compatible I see there are some incompatablities with what *i thought* (?) were plugin dependancies, these being: RB Filtering, Storage & Supprt plugins (I'll refer to these as "RB" plugins)

I know these"RB"plugins are not maintained by Bob and i shoud ldirect questions to author, my question is more of: Are these RB plugins dependancies for Bob's SQL Plugin (I also use Bob's Cache, Graphviz, and Run plugins), or are they no longer needed (and can be disbaled, removed from my confluence installation)?

Hope the above makes sense. I see there's a similar question on these "RB" plugins here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/207637/servicerocket-randombits-addon-not-compatible-with-5-2-3, but the question i have is do i need them to run Bob Swift plugins?

All comments, feedback welcomed. Many thanks!

Gavin.

3 answers

1 vote
Gavin Fowler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2013

Just to confirm, under a development instance of Confluence 5.2.4, I installed " Bob Swift Software - Cache Plugin" it installs the "RB * " plugins i mentioned in my orginal post. I guess my orginal concerns are valid, but I incorrectly stated that "Bob Swift Software - SQL Plugin for Confluence" is listed as compatible, where in reality it's "Bob Swift Software - Cache Plugin" that installs the non compatible RB Plugins.

So in summary - Bob Swift's Cache plugin is marked as compatible with 5.2.x *but* the 5 dependancy plugins it installs (i.e. RB Storage - *, RB Supprt - *) are deemed incompatible (when testing compatablity from an older Confluence version, i.e: 5.1.4). I attached an image below to outline this.

So i guess my question is actually: "Is it correct to list the suitablity of this plugin (Bob Swift's Cache Plugin) as compatible with confluence 5.2.x when the plugin dependancies are not rated as compliant? Just want to make sure we're not destabalising our production instances with incompaible plugins that are being installed implicity.

Hope the above makes sense, and sounds like a reasonable assessment/statement.

Gavin.

0 votes
Jay Mackey December 9, 2013

I discovered last night that installing Bob Swift Software Graphviz Macro Plugin results in the installation of the five RB plugins listed above. This is in 5.4 where the Graphviz Macro plugin is compatible with 5.4, but the RB plugins are not yet listed as compatible.

Alternately, uninstalling the five RB plugins renders the Bob Swift Software Graphviz Macro plugin unable to be enabled. It must then be uninstalled and reinstalled, resulting in the RB plugins being reinstalled.

Going to Bob Swift's pages, I found this:

For Confluence, Bob Swift Software takes advantage of some base enablers provided by a set of RB (formerly randombits) components supported by ServiceRocket. When a plugin gets installed, the RB components also get installed. Think of them as necessary plumbing. Generally, you should not have to worry about them. Never downgrade them!

Current, the following RB components are needed by most Bob Swift Software Confluence plugins.

Do not update RB Components to a lower version number than what is automatically installed by the plugin.

Confluence only. Plugins automatically install the RB components at a version required by the plugin to operate. Do not manually downgrade them! This will cause other plugins to become disabled. Unfortunately, UPM asks you to downgrade them if the are not properly marked in the Marketplace compatibility matrix (UPM-3535). ServiceRocket has updated the support matrix in Marketplace.

If you have inadvertently updated any of these components, then follow the step #3 below. An alternative is to use a previous version of the affected plugin that has different dependencies.

(step #3 is to uninstall and re-install the plugin.)

0 votes
jing_hwa_cheok
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 9, 2013

Hi Gavin,

As far as I know, there should be no dependencay between Bob Swift's SQL Plugin and RB filtering Plugin. The Bob Swift's SQL Plugin and RB filtering Plugin are two separate plugin and developed by two different vendor, it doesn't make sense if one of them is dependant to the other.

Also, RB filtering Plugin is not compatible with Confluence 5.2.3 but Bob Swift SQL Plugin 6.0.1 is compatible.

I have also try to install Bob Swift SQL Plugin 6.0.1 in my Confluence 5.2.3. It seem to work fine without RB filtering Plugin installed.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Jing Hwa

Gavin Fowler
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2013

Thanks Jing, I've no idea why i have all these "RB *" plugins installed. I'll setup a non production instance to better understand what (if anything?) is installing these plugins. If it turns out ot be deprecated dependencies, or similar I'll just remove them from my production installation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events