• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Retore Failed

To Whom it maybe concerned:

It's Wei Lin form ICBC (London), I have interested and successfully installed 7.5.4 product for server, but failed to restore from 5.1.1.

The error shown in the following:

org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of method 'isShowSignUp' in class com.atlassian.confluence.user.actions.LoginAction threw exception java.lang.NullPointerException: Application cannot be null at /login.vm[line 6, column 28]
    at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.handleInvocationException(ASTMethod.java:342)

caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Application cannot be null
    at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkNotNull(Preconditions.java:895)

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Best Regards

Wei Lin

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

You won't be able to "restore from 5.1.1".  If you've done it with the database, you've skipped the upgrade steps so the data is the wrong shape.  If you did it with an xml import,it should have told you it can't do it because 5.1.1 is way too old and not compatible with 7.5.4.

Could you explain what you are trying to do end-to-end?  An upgrade from 5.1.1?

Hi Nic,

Thank you very much for your replied. We are doing an server migration and would like to extract all files and space structure which saved in the old confluence server which has 5.1.1 version installed.

Hope you could help to find the good way to get those all files.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Wei Lin 

Assuming the 7.5.4 system is empty, the easiest thing to do would be to install 5.1.1 on the target server and get it running ok, stop it, point it to the 5.1.1 database, copy the attachments directory from the old server to the new one, restart it to check everything is there, and then upgrade it to 7.5.4 using the standard upgrade docs.

Hi Nic.

Thanks for replied, But I have got the error after installed 5.1.4 (production version) which copied from old server:

com.atlassian.config.bootstrap.BootstrapException: Unable to bootstrap application: The database driver (org.h2.Driver) was not found in the class path.
This Confluence installation cannot be upgraded automatically. Please see Confluence documentation:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Database+ConfigurationInstallError.PNG
By the way, the 7.4.5 version which try to upgrading is trail version only.
So, I'm not sure what the best strategy which I could be used. Could I just manual copy the database which includes users and attached files?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Best Regards
Wei Lin

You have a broken installation of Confluence there, someone has removed things from it.  You'll need to start with a fresh clean install of 5.1.4 from scratch, without whatever "clever" customisations have been done to production.

Hi Nic,

Thank you so much for your quick replied and I have managed to install 5.14 the made migration from old server successfully !

But the upgrading to 7.4.5 has been failed and got those message:UpgradeError.PNGSo, any idea on it?

Also, how I can back to 5.1.4 when this upgrading failed?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Wei Lin

You'll need to read the application log to find out what has failed during starting the new system

Hi Nic,

Thanks for replied. The error still same, But I have read upgrading guide and the found the following (In my case):

7. Reinstall the service (Windows only)

If you run Confluence as a service on Windows you should delete the existing service then re-install the service by running <install-directory>/bin/service.bat.

This makes sure the service gets the most recent JVM options. 

Any idea how can I do that?

Also, I am not sure which log I need to looking for?

Thanks in advance and sorry to trouble you.

Best Regards

Wei Lin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Announcing Team Calendars in Confluence Data Center

Hi Community! We're thrilled to share that Team Calendars for Confluence is now a built-in feature for Confluence Data Center releases 7.11 and beyond.  A long time favorite,  Team Cale...

218 views 0 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you