Restricting file upload with same name

Kalado October 25, 2018

Hello,

I would like to restrict uploading files with the same name across confluence, not only on one page.

I just want to make sure that the same file is not uploaded several times at different locations.

Any solutions?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2018

Hi Simone,

If someone has permissions to update the page, then they will be able to overwrite an existing file in order to provide an updated copy. There's not a way in Confluence built-in to provide this functionality.

I have found the following feature request which asks that there at least be some kind of warning so someone knows if they are overwriting a file:

There aren't yet very many votes on it, as it doesn't seem to be a popular request. To increase the odds of such a feature being implemented, I recommend voting on the ticket and comment there with your usage case.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Shannon 

Kalado October 30, 2018

Sorry, this is not my question. I want the files to be overwritten on upload but not only in the page context it already existed but across the whole confluence instance.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2018

Hi Simone,

Thank you for explaining.

This is not possible due to the way that Confluence permissions work, and the fact that filenames are only considered duplicates across the page. There is nothing that would prevent a user from uploading the same document to another page or space.

There may be some other method you can use with 3rd party solutions, so I am tagging the question appropriately in case anyone else has suggestions for you on how to do this outside of Confluence's offerings.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events