Restrict all pages in a space in Confluence but two

ittv January 22, 2017

Hello,

I have the following problem. I have more than 100 articles in a space in Confluence. I would like to hide all the pages from specific user but two. How can I do that?

I have tried restricting the home page of the space and went to the two child pages and allowed view access to the specific user but without any success.

Any assistance will be highly appreciated! 

Thanks in advance. 

4 answers

2 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2017

Unfortunately, it works the other way. Everything is visible until you restrict them.

So, you have to give permission to the user in the space and then restrict all the pages, except the two! You might as well look at options of refactoring those 2 pages in to a different space!

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2017

The best method would be to create a group that has access to see ALL the pages and another that can only see the two pages. You grant at the space level view access to both groups. Then under the space home page you create a parent page that will house all the content except the two pages. Those will either live under the space home page or their own parent page ... your choice. The for the content that should not be visible to everyone you put a view restriction on the parent page for the group that is allowed to see everything. This will restrict the parent page and it's descendants such that only the view all group can see them. Don't do anything with the other group. That group is simply there to allow the specif user you are referring to access to the space. Visually it will look like this.

Space Home Page
|
| - Parent page to restricted content <--- view restriction on this page
|   | - Restricted page 1
|   | - Restricted page 2
|
| - Non restricted page 1
| - Non restricted page 2

Daniel Valenzuela December 6, 2021

and how can you restrict all pages? I can't find that "space home page" you mention. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 1, 2022

@Daniel Valenzuela 

When you enter a Space, the page that opens first is the Home page .. all pages are Child pages to that

Restrictions are "positive" i.e. you read it as "allowed to ...." then either View only (not edit) or "View and edit"

Obviously to Edit implies the User must be able to View

You add individual users to the Restriction, or if you have Permission Groups and Users are assigned to a certain Permission level, you can set the Restriction by that Permission name

If the person is not specifically listed by their Username then they can't do that.

e.g. 

A particular page is set with Fred having "View only" Restriction, so he can see, but not edit

the same page is set with Mary having "View and edit " so she can do anything.

But Percy who is not listed at all can't see the page

Note the list of names &/or Permissions that have View only is automatically inherited by any Child page .. i.e. to see a Child, you must first have to be able to see the Parent

BUT ..... NOTE

"View and Edit" is not inherited by teh Child pages.

i.e. if you set "Page 1" as above for Mary and Fred,

and then Mary creates a Child page,

that Child page will be able to be seen by both Mary and Fred

But to note that BOTH Mary and Fred will be able to Edit the Child

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2017

It makes no sense to set View Restrictions on the home page.  Everyone you grant access to the Space should be able to see the Home page.  If you set Page View Restriction son the Home page then only the included people can see anything in the Space. If you don't want them to see the Home page, don't grant them access!!

However it might make some sense in some cases to set a Page Edit Restriction on the Home page - noting that Creating a Child page, or moving it, is an edit of the Home page so only the allowed Editors can change the top level page structure

But if you have a subset of the Users with access to the Space that need a bunch of certain pages which ONLY they can see - say a special sub-committee, then create a page which you might call something like "Sub-committee - Restricted Access" and set the Page View Restrictions to ONLY the sub-committee people by name or by Permissions group, i..e to give ONLY the two people ability to see these pages put their names in the Page View Restriction list .  Then all its Child pages will automatically inherit the same Page View Restriction, thereby preventing the unwanted people seeing any of those Sub-committee pages

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events