Restore an xml backup from 2014

John Cambiotis February 28, 2021

I am trying to restore a very important xml backup of a confluence space from 2014. The cloud version gives me error "there was an error during import"

Who can I send this backup for it to be restored please? I trusted the confluence product and I stored there all of my company's information and now I lost all access to it.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2021

If the Confluence is from 2014, then the XML is likely to be in a shape that is too old for Cloud to read, it can only cope with exports from Confluence 6 or 7, and it's not good with 6.x exports (actually, it can handle older ones sometimes, but it depends on certain content not being used)

You'll need to restore your backup into a 5.5 (I've taken a guess at the version there, 5.5 was released december 2014), and upgrade it to 7.x and re-export it, then Cloud will be able to handle it.

You may want to engage a partner to do this, we've got a lot of experience with this sort of thing (my last ten confluence projects have been upgrades, with seven of them being done to get the exports up to a version that Cloud can import from)

John Cambiotis February 28, 2021

Ok, Obviously I cannot do any of that. Who can help me I dont understand. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2021

I understand that the journey I described there is not a short or simple one.

But I am afraid you are stuck unless you start upon that journey. 

You have an old and incompatible Confluence.  If you want to get it into Cloud, there is no choice, you have to upgrade it to a version Cloud can read and import.

If you really are stuck, I still stick with "go talk to an Atlassian partner".  We've had a lot of experience of this stuff 

John Cambiotis March 1, 2021

yes I understand. I am passed the acceptance stage (lol). I am asking you to co tact me so that we can get this moving. Or how do I contact you. I want you to do it.

John Cambiotis March 1, 2021

also please tell me out of curiosity. Can you send me a download link to confluence 5.5 please? I cannot find it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/download and look for "older releases" for a list of all the older versions.

It's easiest to find partners at https://partnerdirectory.atlassian.com/ where you can narrow the list down and get routed to them by your preferred methods.  Obviously you can just go straight for Adaptavist (my lot) if you want., but you may have other criteria you might want to select for (location or language for example).

John Cambiotis March 13, 2021

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2021

> Why cant you give me your contact details somehow?

I'm a volunteer here, like the rest of the community.  We don't give out contact details in public because that just means spam, plus vast amounts of people asking for help for free, which we don't have time for!

You're not going to assign anything to me, or the others, we're not support, we're a community of end-users like yourself, we're just trying to help.

>What do you mean go to your lot?

As I said, Adaptavist.  We're a partner of Atlassian, we have a lot of people with experience with all sorts of Atlassian software, old and new, and a lot of experience in upgrading and migrating them around the place.  My suggestion there is to reach out to a partner, as you've got a complicated task to do here, and would like help.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events