Restore Confluence 5.1.3

Hello everybody,

I have problems to set up a new server for our confluence. The OS is el6 and we want to move from a Mysql DB to a postgres DB.

I have tried it how it has worked times before. I made a XML-Export and sync the attachments(10GB). Then I copy the xml to the new server in the restore directory. After that I tried to restore the xml over the web installation wizard.

There are different situations.

1 Attempt:

Upgrade Confluence and set up a new server with the postgres DB in one step. During the restore over the installation web wizard I got errors, which said that they can't find addons and stuff like that. Restore duration was about 5 hours or more.

2. Attempt:

Same as first attempt, but restore after finishing the installation. The result was that I couldn't login anymore.

3 Attempt:

Same Confluence version with new database. Restore over web installation wizard. Failure in end of xml and after restart confluence couldn't access web wizard any more.

I am not able to say a correct time the restore needs because the webgui timed out and I was not able to see the progress.

I have searched after my troubles, but never found a resolution for my problems. I hope that you can help me.

Thanks for every answer smile
Kind regards,

Daniel

2 answers

0 vote

Hi Daniel,

The first thing we must take note is that you want to change the OS and the database. These are 2 different migrations and should be done separately, not together.

My recommendation is to first migrate the server and after the database in the end.

1) Server migration

2) Database migration

In order to migrate the database, there are 2 ways. One is by using the XML backup and restore to the new instance and the other way is by using some external database migration tool of your preference.

For the XML backup, I recommend to finish the installation and then proceed with the restore by going to the confluence administration -> backup and restore. If you cannot login to the instance, try to restore the local administration account online using this documentation.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Hi Rodrigo, we are not changing the OS, it is only a new server but the OS is the same. Would it be better to change the database on the old system first and then install confluence on the new server and use the same database? And if this works, do we lose the data or do i have to make the restore? Cheers, Daniel

Is here somebody who made this before?

In my opinion I haven't made main failures. Maybe one person has an idea.

Cheers Daniel

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

867 views 23 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you