Removing screenshots leaves orphaned attachments on page

I have a Confluence (Wiki) page originally imported from MS Word. The imported file contained 30+ screenshots, as attachments. Because some of them are outdated, I need to remove them and replace with screenshots from the current software.

Originally, say the page had 35 attachments. I went to one of my screenshots and deleted it (like I would any other content); however, the # of attachments remains 35. I clicked Attachments at the bottom of my page, and see a list, which includes my orphaned attachments.. However, it does not let me delete the attachment(s) in question.

Workaround? 
Thanks,

Steve 

3 answers

1 vote
Bill Bailey Community Champion Mar 17, 2016

Yes, deleting an image inserted into a page does not remove the attachment. You need to go to Tools -> Attachments and delete it there.

BTW, I often copy the contents of a page converted from Word to another page so I can delete the original page to get rid of all the attachments. It takes a long time to manually delete 30+ attachments.

Thanks, Bill. But please clarify. What's the benefit of copying to another page? Wouldn't copying bring over the attachments. (New Confluence user here, so please forgive what may be a basic question.) smile

Bill Bailey Community Champion Mar 17, 2016

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Copy the CONTENTS of the original page while in edit mode, then paste into a new page. That will leave ALL attachments behind. Then you can insert the images you want.

Typically I replace all images after Word import as the import process can somehow break up the image into many parts.

No worries.

You're saying that when I SELECT ALL, and do CTRL-C to copy, then the images aren't included?

Related question: The same doc is getting rather large, and I'm thinking of splitting into two, so as not to overwhelm the audience. Both halves of the doc have screenshots, and let's assume I've resolved my orphaned screenshot issue to the point that all is good. My plan:

1) Copy the entire document (page) into two new pages (Part One and Part Two).

2) Remove all content from the second half of Part One.

3) Remove all content from the first half of Part Two.

With regard to my images, am I missing any sub-steps?

Thanks,

Steve

Bill Bailey Community Champion Mar 18, 2016

yes, CTRL-A, CTRL-C, the CTRL-V on the new page. On the images, I don't remember exactly what happens (I do it so fast), either they are linked from the original page, or just don't appear at all (I think the later).

When I split a page, I just copy the page (using Tools->Copy) to bring over the images, then delete out the halves I don't need from both pages, updating page names and hierarchy as needed.

Also, install the Source Editor plugin. There are times when you need to clean up the storage format (lots of div and span tags can get pasted in).

Please clarify:

Lots of div and span tags can get pasted in

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Dec 10, 2018 in Confluence

Organizing your space just got easier - Page Tree Drag & Drop is here

Hi Community! I’m Elaine, Confluence Product Manager. You may have read my earlier post about page tree in space navigation sidebar. I'm excited to share another improvement that helps you organize ...

213 views 6 8
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you