Remind authors to maintain their pages?

JamesBradbury January 23, 2015

I'm looking to set up an internal project wiki, containing mostly with how-to guides for software tools, servers and configuration.

From previous experience I know that the pages often get written once and forgotten, ending up out of date and, for a newbie, worse than no information at all.

To mitigate this, I'd like to implement the (perhaps un-wiki-like) concept of a page-owner (although anyone could still edit the page, including changing the owner). The page-owner would be expected to regularly review their page(s) and either update them or mark them clearly as out of date. Ideally, the wiki would periodically email page-owners asking them to update any pages which hadn't been changed recently.

Could I do this with Confluence?

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2015

(UPDATED IN MAY 2023)

James, the problem you described is exactly the one that inspired us to build the Better Content Archiving for Confluence app many years ago! It addresses all the points that are important to you.

See the app documentation and try it!

notification-email-outdated-cloud (2).png

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 26, 2015

Hi James,

As far as I know, there's no embedded functionality to remember users to edit and maintain pages updated in Confluence, specially in Cloud which doesn't allow many third party customizations to be applied.

I can say that some custom plugin could do that but then you would need to run Confluence BTF (Behind the Firewall) and host the application yourself to be able to create and install the plugin.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

EDIT. I've created this feature request for you: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-36268

JamesBradbury January 29, 2015

Thanks, although it should say "remind" not "remember". "Remember" means something slightly different when used transitively.

Like Frans likes this
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2015

Hi James, thanks for the tip. I'll update the ticket and correct it. Cheers!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events