Remind authors to maintain their pages?

I'm looking to set up an internal project wiki, containing mostly with how-to guides for software tools, servers and configuration.

From previous experience I know that the pages often get written once and forgotten, ending up out of date and, for a newbie, worse than no information at all.

To mitigate this, I'd like to implement the (perhaps un-wiki-like) concept of a page-owner (although anyone could still edit the page, including changing the owner). The page-owner would be expected to regularly review their page(s) and either update them or mark them clearly as out of date. Ideally, the wiki would periodically email page-owners asking them to update any pages which hadn't been changed recently.

Could I do this with Confluence?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote

Hi James,

As far as I know, there's no embedded functionality to remember users to edit and maintain pages updated in Confluence, specially in Cloud which doesn't allow many third party customizations to be applied.

I can say that some custom plugin could do that but then you would need to run Confluence BTF (Behind the Firewall) and host the application yourself to be able to create and install the plugin.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

EDIT. I've created this feature request for you: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-36268

Thanks, although it should say "remind" not "remember". "Remember" means something slightly different when used transitively.

Hi James, thanks for the tip. I'll update the ticket and correct it. Cheers!

James, the problem you described is exactly the one that inspired us to build the Archiving Plugin many years ago! Make sure you try it.

It addresses all the points that are important to you and even helps to archive the outdated content (you haven't asked for this explicitly, but that's the next step in the content's lifecycle).

The page-owner would be expected to regularly review their page(s) and either update them or mark them clearly as out of date.

You can select the page's original author, its last modifier, the space's creator, the space's admins or an arbitrary user account (supervisor) as the page owner.

Ideally, the wiki would periodically email page-owners asking them to update any pages which hadn't been changed recently.

They are pinged via automatic notification emails (you can freely define the schedule), and you can also track the page's status in the web interface in a non-obtrusive way.

See the user documentation 

confluence-outdated-pages.png

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

692 views 21 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you