Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Related Labels' showing non-related labels

Sunita Verma April 5, 2021

This query is with regards to the 'Labelled Content' results page after a label has been selected from the Labels List macro. 

For example, I have labels 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'E' where only 'B' and 'C' are related to 'A'. When I click on 'A' in the Labels List, the result correctly shows 'B' and 'C' under Related Labels. When I add 'B' and 'C' to the list of required labels (in addition to 'A'), there should ideally be no results in Related Labels. However, in doing so, 'D' and 'E' appears in the list of Related Labels when they are not supposed to. 

Is there a workaround for this? What is the logic for Related Labels?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2021

Hi @Sunita Verma,

Although the labelled content page is not editable, the list of related labels is most likely populated with the related labels macro. That macro pulls in all the labels from pages that have the listed labels on them. From the documentation:

The Related Labels macro lists all labels from every page which has one or more labels in common with the current page.

D and E most likely appear in the list of related labels because you probably have pages in your space that combine with label B or C.

It is enough to have only 1 page with both labels on it to impact the related labels macro's result.

Sunita Verma April 5, 2021

got it! so it shows related labels to any of the labels that are already selected, thanks for the clarification

0 votes
Florent R_ August 30, 2021

Hello there,

There is a strange logic in the actual "related labels" results. When you add suggested labels, despite the "AND" search with all selected labels, it widens the list of related labels instead of narrowing it. And most of the time, the result become empty because suggested labels are scattered across pages that have not many identical labels.

I contacted the Atlassian support to ask for an improvement but they want to gather interest in the first place.

So, if you are interested, you can vote for this ticket :
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-68220

Have a nice day !

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2021

Welcome to the community!

I think you are misunderstanding is explained when you say "required" in your question.  The macro accepts a list of labels to relate stuff to, not doing "only related to".   It is not listing labels only related to your parameters, it's for listing labels related to all the labels you are asking about.

I am struggling to explain this clearly, I think, so I'll try to explain with an example.

Using your labels, I can tell you that you have something like the most simple case:

page 1, labelled A, B, C

page 2, labelled B, D, E

So, when you put just A in the macro, it sees page 1 and puts B and C in the list of results.  When you then put B in the parameters, it now sees page 2, which has D and E, so it adds them to the list of results because they're related to B

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events