Recommended configuration

Hi.

We are 25 users planning to run Confluence as a local installation on a server provided by a Norwegian hosting Company. SQL License is an issue, and I wonder if we can run this installation on Microsoft Sql Server Express edition? I think the Maximum database size for Express is 10 GB and i guess it would take som time before we reach that amount of data. And further on this it should not be difficult to move the database to a full Microsoft SQL Server edition later on. Do you have any recommendations on system requirements for 25 users on configuration like this? Would you recommend or advice against installations like this?

2 answers

Is there a reason not to use Postgres? As far as I understand, your Express edition will not be covered by a support contract, so Postgres may actually be better quality, open-source and unlimited.

It's also cheaper for your Norvegian provider to host a (Postgres) database because it's on Unix (Linux), rather than a Windows-based database which requires much more powerful hardware and a license of Windows Server. At least, on Unix, deployments can be scripted.

Would an installation in Microsoft Azure be covered by a support contract, as long as the server version and database version are in compliance with your requirements?

Hi Roger, this is an ecosystem forum and I don't belong to Atlassian. When mentionning the support coverage, I was talking about Microsoft not supporting the Express edition, since it's a free edition.

Ok, thank you for the advice.

0 votes

Hi there,

You could take a look on this documentation:

Cheers,

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in New to Confluence

How to use Confluence Cloud for stakeholder management

Most of us don’t need much convincing that stakeholder management is important. It just makes sense that keeping everyone in-the-know on projects and assigning clearly defined roles is key to having ...

1,012 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you