Recently uploaded images not showing up in "Recent Uploads" when trying to insert an image

Joe Milausnic January 7, 2021

I'm trying to create a Confluence page containing multiple images, and after uploading a handful of images, only the first two are showing up on the page's "Recent Uploads" display when I hit the "Files & Images" button in the editor.  This seems like a bug?  Admittedly, I can get all of the images to show up using a thumbnail gallery, but I (much) prefer the control of being able to order/lay them out myself.

Not sure if this is related or not, but instead of having to click the "Files & Images" button each time I wanted to add an already uploaded image, I'd find it much more efficient to use the former "exclamation point" method for accessing attachments.

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2021

Hello there!

Per your description, uploaded files do not show up in the “Recent Uploads” section of the “Files & Images” tool.`

I tried to replicate this behavior but was ultimately unable to. Here is what I see in the “Recent Uploads” section before uploading new pictures:

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 15.45.42.png

Here is what I see when I upload images to the page and look into the “Recent Uploads” section:

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 15.46.46.png

With this result, I would like to ask you a few questions:

1. What browser are you using?
  2. Do you know if there is anyone else that is also affected by this issue?
  3. Is this happening in any page where you try to upload files?

Now, to address your question about the older method of file upload. Recently, Confluence was subject to some changes. One of them was the editor. Our new editor does not have this feature. You can check more about the editor here:

Let us hear from you!

Joe Milausnic January 8, 2021

Thanks for responding Diego!

I'm using Chrome for my day-to-day work, though prior to reporting this issue, I did try Edge and noted the same behavior.

I'm unaware of anyone else facing this problem - which is one of the reasons I posted this to the Community.

I've really only tried it on this page - I've been a bit put off by my inability to get this feature to work as I'm expecting.

To elaborate, I've just taken a screenshot of what I see on my problematic page after opening the "Files and Images" tool:

ConfluenceFilesAndImagesRecentUploads210108.png

For comparison, here's what is showing up in the attachments list for this page:

ConfluenceAttachments210108.png

Note that four images were uploaded to the page after the most recent of the "Recent Uploads", which is what is causing my confusion.

Regarding the "Confluence Cloud editing improvements", I realize it sounds snarky, but I'd hesitate to call the removal of the ability to insert an attachment via a keystroke an "improvement" - but perhaps there's now a more efficient way that I simply need to be made aware of?  I'm more than happy to learn a better way, if one is available.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2021

Thanks for keeping things moving @Joe Milausnic!  

Thanks for letting us know how those changes are perceived by you. All feedback is necessary to build better products, which is why I do really encourage our people to leave feedback whenever possible. If you have the time, you can take a look at this Community post and share your experience there:

Well, currently, there are two ways of uploading files to Confluence:

1. Via “Files & Images”
  2. Via the “Attachments” page under the “More actions”* menu

*The "More Actions" menu is represented by the three dots on the upper right corner of Confluence.

The “Recent Uploads” will list files in an order that is based on When each file was upload to Confluence. What it does not do is list files in an order based on when they were last used in Confluence.

For example:

1. You create a new page name page00
  2. You upload an image named image00 on December 31 at 9 AM to page00 via the “Files & images” dialog
  3. You place image00 on page00 on December 31 9:01 AM
  4. The “Recent Uploads” will still list image00 under December 31 at 9 AM

Notes about this procedure:

1. If you upload another image named image00 on page00, the “Recent uploads” section will show the image you just uploaded as whatever time and date you did that. This will also create a new version of the image under the “Attachments” page
  2. If you just select an already existing image from the “Recent Uploads” dialog, the order of files will not change. This will insert the image and also create a new version of it under the “Attachments” page
  3. If you upload files via the “Attachments” page under the “More actions” menu, this will not be reflected on the “Recent Uploads” dialog. If the file name is the same as something that already exists on that page, a new version of it will also be created.
  4. Selecting files via “Recent Uploads” does not reupload them. The file is already uploaded in Confluence and is reused without the need to reupload it.

With this in mind, I would like to understand:

1. Did you select that file directly in the “Recent Uploads” section?
  2. Did you upload that file via “Files & image”?
  3. Did you upload the affected file via “Attachments” page under the “More Actions” menu?

Let us hear from you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events