Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reason of Error "Public Sign up is not enabled" while importing XML-Backup?

Deleted user July 1, 2021

I've tried to import a XML-Export. After unzipping the Import-file the import stops with the following error message: 

{"errorType":"PublicSignUpDisabled","message":"Public Sign up is not enabled"}

Is there any special authorization requiered? How can i fix the error?

The XML file is from another confluence instance. Can this be the reaseon for?

Thanks!

David

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Lenard Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 5, 2021

Hello @Aurelien Meunier , @[deleted] !

During an XML import, this particular error message can appear if the user doing the import is not a "Site Admin". Can you check if that is the case, and if so, adding the user doing the import to the "Site admin" group should resolve this problem.

Deleted user October 6, 2021

Hello @Lenard Lee

Thank you for your reply! That works for me! Thank you very much!

Aurelien Meunier October 7, 2021

Indeed, that works for me too. However, I find this very puzzling, why would I see the Import feature if I can't do it?

Lenard Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 14, 2021

Hi @Aurelien Meunier ,

Space Import is designed to be something a Confluence Admin can do. This specific error message, "PublicSignUpDisabled" happens because this Space Import process was also trying to create additional users. This is where the site admin permission is also needed.

Though, I suppose an improvement can be made to return a more descriptive error message :)

1 vote
Sean Seifert October 4, 2021

After a bit of testing on single page exports, it seems that this error is being thrown because the old system has user ID's that do not exist in the new system. One work around would be that you can modify the XML to remove users that no longer exist and replace their unique ID with someone that does exist in the new system. NOTE - This will mess up Confluence's revision history and comments as Confluence show changes/comments associated with the wrong user. It's easiest to test this by exporting/importing 1 single page to make sure it works. We were able to get this working for us, but does take a bit of work to get this done for the entire space XML which is very large and not easy to use a text editor with. 

Otherwise, I would expect you would need to create the same users in each system for the XML export/import to work normally. I didn't try this. 

Aurelien Meunier October 4, 2021

Makes sense. I'll try that, thanks @Sean Seifert 

Maurice Pasman February 11, 2022

You can also empty the value of atlassianAccountId in the XML file (<property name=”atlassianAccountId”><![CDATA[]]></property>). The content will then be attributed to “Former user (deleted)”.

Like Heike Fischer likes this
0 votes
Aurelien Meunier October 4, 2021

Same problem here, same scenario.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS