cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Page Links

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2011

I copied a branch from one space to another, but I noticed some links in the new space points to the original pages, not the copied pages in the new space.

Any idea how to fix all links so they point to the pages in the new space?

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kevin Buchs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2011

If you used the Tools->Copy method, then you are only going to have a single page copied and all links on that page will then point to the prior space. If you Tools->Move the page (or other ways to do the same), the you can move the page and all descendents and the links amongst those remain intact. A handy way to fix up all page links, is to ensure you move all the referenced pages in one lump. That is, move them all under a parent page (perhaps newly created) in the first space and then move the parent to the second space.

Another option is to backup content from one space and restore to another, empty space. This is not easy to get it to work manually, but an add-in was recommended to me that you may wish to try. See here.

If you just want to correct a handful of pages, you can search the new space for the key of the other space and find the pages to edit that way.

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2011

Thanks for your suggestions.

I used your last option. Since I had 00s of pages, I used the SearchReplace plugin to find and replace.

0 votes
Barbara Green September 22, 2011

I would really like a way to turn off Confluence's link management when I copy a space. I have two spaces that are public, and two corresponding spaces that I use for staging new material. All links that refer to pages or attachments within a given space are specified without the space key. I only use the space key when I have to link to a separate space (for example, to an earlier version).

At release time, I backup all the spaces, remove the public spaces and copy the staging spaces (using the space keys for the public spaces, so customer's bookmarks don't break). Just like dropping and recreating a database. I have to reconfigure the theme (nav pane, header and footer), but that's trivial.

It works like a charm except for link updates that insert the staging space key where I intentionally left it out. I use the third option above, searching the space for the key and manually deleting each one.

It would be much kinder if the Copy Space function included a toggle that would turn off Update Links. My doc isn't going to get any smaller, and I can see updating all the links after copy as becoming tedious over time.

We have considered using restricted pages for staging, but it just doesn't seem to win much support here. Developers (who are my main contributors) are very used to the Staging->Production model and don't want to have to figure out a restriction scheme every time they add a page.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events