Preserve whitespaces when pasting monospace formatted text

Hi,

I would like to paste some text preformatted with whitespaces, within which I want to highlight parts as bold.

I cannot highlight parts of the text within \{noformat} or \{code} sections, and when I paste the text as normal text then the whitespaces get lost upon pasting. This also happens when pasting within a paragraph that is formatted as monospaced.

How can I paste monospaced text while both retaining whitespaces and being able to highlight individual words within it afterwards?

3 answers

I think Jorg's point is that he would like to paste some text formatted with whitespace. when you do this normally all your whitespace gets removed, which is really annoying!

one option is to paste your text in as wiki text, this preserves the whitespace but removes any other formatting which is equally annoying.

any recommendations on how to solve this?

1 vote
Dave Cole I'm New Here Feb 28, 2018

The fact that you cannot paste text into a performatted section without effluence stripping whitespace is embarrassing.

Hello Jörg, the functioning of the noformat and code macros is intended to strip the content within from any special formatting which includes font styling and text indentation, this behavior is the expected. In case you would like to highlight text within, you may use characters such as * asterisc or the # pound sign.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Sarah Goff-Dupont
Published 4 hours ago in Confluence

Think you know shares vs. @mentions in Confluence? Take this collab quiz.

To anyone who doubts that Atlassians are a little too obsessed with collaboration, and tools related thereto, let me describe a recent discussion we had (which took place on our internal Confluence, ...

56 views 2 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you