Personal Space doesn't render after upgrade to Confluence 7.2.1

ruppster-unicon January 23, 2020

After an upgrade from Confluence 6.15.4 to version 7.2.1, one user's personal space is longer accessible (won't render). I brought up a backup for the Confluence 6.15.4 and verified the user's personal space was working on that version... but it didn't seem right though. Meaning that a space should have the "Space Tools" menu at the lower left hand corner and this user's personal space did not. What I found was that if I change the theme of the personal space from "Documentation Theme" to "Global Look and Feel" the personal space in question seems right and has the "Space Tools" menu as expected on Confluence 6.15.4.  Is there an issue with the "Documentation Theme" upgrading to 7.2.1?

Since the user's personal space won't render on Confluence 7.2.1, I can't try the switch in theme on the new version. I attempt to access this URL

http://confluence-hostname-here/confluence/spaces/choosetheme.action?key=~username

and that fails with message "Error occurred during template rendering. Contact your administrator for assistance."

I also tried to delete the space with the same result with:

http://confluence-hostname-here/confluence/spaces/removespace.action?key=~username

I was able to save off the contents of the personal space from version 6.15.4, so removing the space and recreating is an option on 7.2.1. How can I remove the personal space so it can be recreated? Or is there a way to change the theme in another way? Maybe through a DB query?

BTW, access this url:

https://confluence-hostname-here/confluence/spaces/viewspace.action?key=~username

produces a blank screen and no error on the screen.

Regards,

Greg

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2020

Hey there, @ruppster-unicon !

I can tell you, right off the bat, that the Documentation theme has been deprecated a long time ago. It was deprecated with Confluence 6.x launch, to be precise. Here we have some of our documents on this:

This behavior can be caused by a number of reasons. One of them is having customizations in your instance. You can try to clear those customizations in a Test Instance to check if the issue persists. Here is how to clear the customizations:

Another situation that seems to fit your current status is the one we can check here:

You can check your logs to verify that this situation applies to you. Here is where you can find the logs:

<Confluence-Home-Folder>/logs/Atlassian-confluence.txt

I hope that this shines some light into your issue, Greg! Looking forward to your reply.

ruppster-unicon January 28, 2020

Diego

Thank you very much for your response...your post was very helpful!  I spun up a test instance of our Confluence and used the DB queries from:

Bulk fix spaces with deprecated themes

to verify only one space was using the depreciated theme and then reset that space to use the default theme.  Then verified the personal is working correctly.  Thanks again!

Regards,

Greg

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2020

Great to hear that, @ruppster-unicon ! Thanks for coming back to us, it is always good to know that things are working on your end.

Come share with us again in future, Greg!

Michelle Vincent November 9, 2020

We were testing out an issue with one of our themes and tried to switch a personal space to the documentation theme. We of course got the error above. How do we now get this personal space back to our global theme? We can't access anything in that space right now.

Bill Franz August 16, 2021

Try going to the Manage Apps area and completely disable the Documentation theme. That brought a space back from the dead for me. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events