Perimeter Plugin or Something Similar for Cloud?

Psalm Haseley July 24, 2015

Hello.  The research lab I'm in at Harvard Medical School has been using the server version of Confluence for many years, and it's been good, but we're currently interested in migrating to the cloud version.  Unfortunately, it seems like the Perimeter plugin that we use quite extensively is not available in the cloud version. 

1.) Is this plugin likely to become available on the cloud in the (near) future?

2.) If it's not available, what plugins can be used on the cloud that will allow users to make parts of a page public to certain people without giving them access to the rest of the wiki?

Thank you.

2 answers

0 votes
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2015

With respect to number 2 @Psalm Haseley you use the Confluence Include Page Macro for this use case: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Include+Page+Macro

You can create two different pages (one restricted, one not) and then join them together in another page using the Include Page Macro. Then you get the dual restrictions on content that you are looking for and you don't even need an addon.

Would that meet your needs well?

Psalm Haseley July 30, 2015

Hi Robert. Sorry for the late response. Let me see if I understand correctly. So I would create a page in lab space, we'll call it PageA, and populate that, and then I'd create a page in a public space, PageB, and do something like {include:private_space:PageA} in PageB? When reading the Wiki article you sent me, it says, "To display a page's contents, you need 'View' permission for that page. Similarly, people who view the page will need 'View' permissions for the embedded page as well as the page into which it is embedded." Does that mean that unless we give them view access to the entire private_space where PageA resides, they won't be able to view the content of PageB? If so, then I'm not sure that really helps me since at that point, they might as well simply view PageA. Do the Excerpt/Excerpt Include macros (referenced in the Include macro article) also have this requirement of view access for both PageA (where content is excerpted) and PageB (where the excerpt is included)? It wasn't mentioned in their respective articles.

Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2015

@Psalm Haseley I'm not entirely sure exactly how they work. However, I would recommend that you just try it and see. Create some test pages and try and merge them together and then see if people can view them in the way that you expected.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2015
  1.  I'm afraid not, Atlassian pretty much said "no more type-2 addons will be added to Cloud, everything is going to be Connect addons in the future" at Atlascamp.  I don't know if Perimeter could be converted to a Connect addon.  My instinct is that it can't, but it's been a while since I wrote any code, and there are many Connect developers out there who are far better than me and could do something like it.
  2. I don't think there are any that would do this.  I suspect your only option is to break out your public sections into a public space and use the include macro when they need to be drawn into other pages.  Which is probably a lot of work and not as neat or intuitive as the perimeter addon.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events